DSL internet stops working when recieving fax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disillusion

Daemon Poster
So here's the situation. We wired a home office in the basement which had 3 separate phone lines (numbers) running to it. So we used a single line of phone line, which has 6 separate wires in it to support up to 3 different numbers. Two were for phones and one was for internet/fax. So, we used two wires to wire up the jack for the internet and fax line. Then we installed the filter/splitter which filtered the fax on one side and left the modem unfiltered on the other side. Now, any time they receive a fax, the internet LED on the modem goes red and they lose all internet connection until the fax has finished.

I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to wiring phone lines, so tell me, is this wired up correctly? Both of the other phones and lines work correctly and the internet and fax work correctly until a fax is received and kills the internet connection.

mine works the same way your's does.
the + is a splitter

.............fax....................
..............|line..................
..............|filter.................
..line-----+-----modem.......
..............|filter.................
..............|line..................
...........phone..................

*for the record, i was kinda bored, that's why i made such a nice graph lol

that's how mine is setup and it works fine....im not sure if that is how you have it setup. I think your problem is you have the fax and internet running threw the same wire, so obviously one has to take priority and the other is dropped.

Initially I thought maybe it was because they were running on the two same wires. But then if you take it outside to the box where the phone lines come in outside, there's only two wires running them out there since the modem and fax are on the same number.

Well, basically, the DSL and fax have their own dedicated phone number. If you go to the box outside the house where all the lines originate, it only uses two wires out there where it then runs into the house. I assume these are send/receive or tip/ring as they call them. So why would it make a difference if I was only using two wires inside the house for this line?

my and internet is on one line and mine does not go out.

but maybe wait for someone else, because i don't get what your saying anymore, maybe I'm just insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom