DSL - Firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

markm

Beta member
I have no trouble running on wireless internet, but when I switch over to another ISP using DSL I cannot receive Email, also I can open some websites and others I can't, example I can open cnn.com but not foxnews.com and other site I have same problem.
when I switch back to my previous ISP (using wireless) all's fine, only when I use the DSL line.
I do use a firewall; Symantec firewall/vpn100 but my settings appear correct (set pppoe on DSL).

your thoughts.

markm

First of all both of those news site have an incredible bias. :p

As for your problem.. turn off all your firewalls including the one that comes with windows xp.

See if that helps. If it does then it's the firewall. I'm pretty sure it's the firewall in this case anyway.

moved to correct forum.....

What kind of email troubles are you having?? Is it getting to mail sites like gmail or hotmail? Please be more specific.

Also, what kind of internet are you currently using that everything works good on? Is it a wireless ISP, or are you meaning going from wireless to wired through the same internet connection?

If you are infact switching ISP's, I would suspect that perhaps there is a DNS issue that is causing you to not reach certain sites. Try connecting using the IP address.... If you can connect that way, call your ISP and report the problem.

Thanks Gloomer and E_D, it appear my troubles were combination of my new ISP putting some restriction on my access ??? and my DNS IP settings, when I changed over to the new ISP (DSL) they told me not to touch any settings because the firewall would auto configure, so like a little lamb being lead to the slaughter house I DAISE (Do As I Say or Else). As you recommended I got them back and as I observed, the resolution was primarily in the DNS configuration on the firewall and workstations.
BTW, I guess I don't mind the branding policy...I'm a VT..lol

PEACE and thanks again!!

markm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom