Dsl Does it Really Suck That Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BxSlipSk8718

In Runtime
Ok so im wondering Does DSL suck that bad i hade cable and ran up a 500$ bill i know cable modem is the best but i have to go to dsl now im paying for 1.5Mbps now will i ever be able to get that speed even if the ftp im downloading from gives it? i mean will i ever get the down im paying for ?

I dont understand the question.. but my dsl connection can download up to 500kbs.. just depends on the server you're downloading from.. pretty much the same as cable except for when YOU are serving.. mine uploads 15-20kbs .. which sucks. (My friend in another state has his cable uncapped, for 2 years now!!, and I download from him at 400kbs.. which is the sickest thing I've ever seen)

Just do cable

If u were talking about gettting 56k i could understand. But dude, if you have the money or will to get dsl u might as well get cable, i mean its worth it and i think the upload for cable is 300k. I might be wrong but you'll be getting you money's worth ;)

Re: Just do cable

Originally posted by josj15
i think the upload for cable is 300k. I might be wrong but you'll be getting you money's worth ;)
The last part was right, because you were wrong :D if they offered 300k uploads, we'd all have cable and we'd all run servers... I'd be makin some loot!!
BUT, it IS a higher upload speed, usually more than double DSL's speed.. My friend has his upload between 30 and 60kbs, sometimes u get lucky and not many people are using the bandwidth.

I find that ASDL is much better value for money.

Down here, the 2 cable providers (Teltra, Optus) have just recently increased their download caps. How ever, i really don't like the idea of having a download cap that I have to worry about every month.

Like this month, my home DSL account get upgraded to 512k/128k for only another $10 per month.

The only other problem that i find with DSL over cable that it's is dependant on your phone exchange. I remember that I had all sorts of problems for the first 2 months after I got DSL 12 months ago. This was all due to the local phone exchange being really really $#!+y.

Over all, I do find that Cable is faster, but at the end of the day (or month I should say) I don't want the head ache
- of getting slowed down to a crawl on (28Kbps)
- of getting billed by the additional Mb
after my cap been breached.

In my experience it's all a matter of what company you're getting it from. Where I am there's one major cable provider and one major dsl provider. The cable provider is getting very swamped, and the network has become laggy as hell. I could barely pull off 150 k/s downloads and uploads were worse :(

So I switched to dsl and now I have a 1.5mbps dedicated line, both up and down. I get 500 k/s downloads, and can upload just as nicely.

Over here, DSL is generally a better deal, but again, like mentioned before it depends on the provider.

I currently pay $27/mo. for 1.5M/128K ADSL (with the ISP's planned free upload speed upgrade to 256K in mid-'04), and the most I can currently squeeze out of it is 1.3Mbits/sec. - there is overhead which can slow it down, along with PPPoE (though the ISP claims it boosts the connection by 6 Kbits). If you can get 80-90% of the advertised speed, you still are getting the money's worth.

Furthermore, my connection seems to be noticeably faster on Win2K than WinXP (I may think the QoS Packet Scheduler may have something to do with it, even when it's disabled), but I switched my PPPoE protocol (instead of using WinXP's PPPoE) and gained a respectable 6-10Kbps (though results may vary).

Up until a month ago, I would have said that the price for cable here was extremely horrendous for the speed they offer, they actually raised their downstream speed up from 1.8M to 3.0M, though it still remains insanely expensive for non-cable TV subscribers ($57/mo. as opposed to $44/mo. for cable TV subscribers), especially when my ISP has an offer of $45/mo. for a 6.0M/512K connection (though with a 1-year contract).

I would go for the 6.0Mbit speed, but unfortunately, being located nearly 12000 ft. from an RT makes it impossible. :(

I like DSL, I have guaranteed speed of 510Kbps uploade and 5.1Mbps after the overhead of TCP/IP. With SBC, my ping rates are very constant, and at least for me I have not had much of any downtime.

Vellon said:
So I switched to dsl and now I have a 1.5mbps dedicated line, both up and down. I get 500 k/s downloads, and can upload just as nicely.
MOTHER $%^&*.. thats crazy.. you should learn to share :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom