DSL Connectivity Issues - intermittent connection loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloudz

Baseband Member
Hi all.

Recently I've been having some odd issues with my DSL service, and I'm not sure what to make of it. Until about early December everything was working OK.

Around the first week of December, my connection started dropping. The DSL light on my modem would go off and then the globe light signifying a connection on my wireless router would too, and I'd lose connectivity both on wireless devices and on my wired PC. The only way I could resolve this was by rebooting both my modem and my router. This started off as a sporadic problem, ocurring maybe 2-3 times a week but now I'm lucky if it doesn't happen 2-3 times in the span of an hour. I'm running Windows Vista and if I use the "diagnose & repair" function on the connection I get a message like "There may be a problem with the DNS configuration."

So I tried flushing my DNS. That didn't help. I also tried "ipconfig /renew" in the command prompt and that didn't help either. As a last ditch effort, I reset my router and my modem to factory defaults and reconfigured them - this didn't help either. What I have set up now is for all devices to use the OpenDNS servers, and it works somewhat better - but still not satisfactory.

Now - using OpenDNS servers rather than allowing my ISP to autoassign DNS - the DSL light on my modem will blink off periodically, but never for more than a minute or so. In that minute window whenever I try to ping a website I get "request timed out.", but once the DSL light comes back on I can ping the same website again and get replies with no packets lost. Just in the time it's taken me to write this post up this has happened at least half a dozen times. (I can also ping the router and the modem with no packet losses, for what it's worth)

Does anyone have any theories as to what's happening to make me lose my connection so often? Could it be an issue with my ISP, or with my phone line itself?

Sounds like an ISP issue, whether it is their service or their modem causing the conflict.

I would call them ASAP and explain the issue.

Before doing so take the router out of the equation to ensure this isn't a configuration issue with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom