DSL 'can't find gateway'

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan7777

Baseband Member
Hi i just recently upgraded to DSL. When i access the internet i get a message in the connection window that says "cannot find gateway" but it manages to connect anyway. I know something is wrong because the little icon in the system stray that represents the modem has one yellow screen and one green screen, instead of two green screens. It's the[ top screen that's yellow.

My ISP's crappy suport team said that that isn't normal but that if i can connect i shouldn't worry about it. so they're not helping.

I know somehting is wrong with my connection because i get oddly long pauses before the page connects and loads...even though it loads very quickly once it does connect.

Also , Outlook and intnet explorer keep thinking i'm OFFline and ask me to connect , like with the old dial-up window , i just click on "ignore" or "try again" and then it falls back on the dsl connection.

Aslo, my system has become VERY unstable, it's crazy. Once i got a "WINDOWS DEVICE IOS error" on boot up. But then re-booted in safe mode, de-fragged, rebooted normally and the problem went away. AND once on boot up i got a message: "HARDWARE MONITOR found an error. Enter Power Setup menu for Details" and ended in up in some crazy thing called "AWARD Bios SETUP UTILITY". i just exited and rebooted and it resolved itself. I've also gotten a few blue screens on boot-up.

But usually i just boot-up use the high-speed, and the system get sustable after about a day of use , before needing to be re-booted, usually after a freeze.

i also recently, upgraded my RAM if that might be related.

Any ideas? Is this the right forum for this even?

I have never used DSL, so I can't troubleshoot that very well. BSOD can be caused by many things. The RAM upgrade is definately a key factor. You never got a BSOD before the RAM upgrade and the DSL subscription? DSL shouldn't cause hardware problems. Have you scanned for spyware and virus' lately? Run a memory diagnostic, and see if it checks out. I suggest memcheck86.

As for the connectivity problem. Type ipconfig in the command prompt and post on here what it gives back to you. I'm not sure, but that will be a start atleast for people more familiar with DSL.

ok, the memcheck86 thing was too complicated to install and use so i didnt try that.

also..when i got to the run prompt in the start menu and Type "ipconfig" in the command prompt i get a dos shell that pops up for one second and then disapears, i don't know how to get the results your describing.

download memtest86. its in my sig. All you do is run the program that creates a boot disk along with the program. Once the disk is made, reboot and boot from the floppy. The rest is automated.

ipconfig results

i did this "ipconfig" thing in an ms dos shell and got these results:

*= numbers cause i figure it's not safe to list numbers right?

0 Ethernet Adapter:

IP Adress....................***.***.**.**
Subnet MAsk...............***.***.***.*
Default Gateway..........***.***.**.**

1 Ethernet Adapter:

IP Adress....................***.***.**.**
Subnet MAsk...............***.***.***.*
Default Gateway..........

note---->the numbers for the second adapter entry are different than the first. And the "default Gateway" entry for the second was BLANK.

If there was more than one entry should I delete one? I'm not sure if this would apply to me. And if so, wich adapter to disable. Here's are my adapters listed in my device manager:

Realtek RTL8139/810X Family PCI Fast Ehternet NIC
Dial-Up Adapter
Dial-Up Adapter #2 [VPN Support]
Efficient Networks P.P.P.o.E Adapter [NTSP3]
Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Adapter

Because the "Realtek" adapter is for my card. But the "efficient networks" entry was installed by the software that came with my dsl modem. So i'm not sure if i should disable it. How safe is it to experiment with turning these on and off. Or would this not cause my problems?

note-----> I allready tried disabling my dial-ups, with no improvement.

thanks for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom