Dropping of LAN connections

Last attempt with current configuration: I rebooted and immediately began the backup process. Connection only lasted a little over three hours. Backup was 52% complete.

I'm going to try removing both routers tonight.

Please excuse me if I ask anything redundant, as I skimmed through your posts.

- Can you test your network with the removal of the Ubee router and only using your Belkin? If the ubee is defective, that would certainly explain your problems.
- Can you compare the timestamps on the logs to see if all computers lose connections at the same time?
- If the above is possible and they do not lose connection at the same time, can you split up the wired connections one for each router and run the same ping monitor test, this would help to narrow down if either individual router is malfunctioning.

I'm going to remove the routers in my test tonight. The Ping Monitor on my laptop shows all connections (to desktop, to google, to routers) going down at same time. The Ping Monitor on my desktop shows ONLY the connection to the laptop failing (at the same time as the laptop), all other connections are still up. Same is true of the wireless netbook.

Rebooting the laptop restores the connections.

The last 4-5 failures have occurred during the backup process which should take about 5-6 hours. Perhaps my backup software is the culprit? When it fails, the backup software doesn't report any errors, or lets me cancel. Also, Windows will not shutdown completely and I have to kill power. I can still connect wirelessly even with the machine in this state. Though, when I do, I can no longer resolve computer names on my laptop, e.g. can't connect to "coxserver" but can connect to it's IP address.

Backup Software is Acronis TrueImage 2012 backing up local drive C: to \\coxserver\e\Backups. "E" is a network share [drive E (2TB)] on coxserver (my desktop - It's not really a server just a XP box that I use for file storage and running my home automation, etc)

After reading thru all this a couple of times, I am thinking that the network is ok but you have a problem in another place.

With out doing any thing else, go into control panel, performqnce/maintance, power options and change all settings to never.

I think that your computer has a power setting that is turning off the system and that is what is causing the disconnect.

By setting every thing to never, you are not hurting anything and it may help in the long run

Back
Top Bottom