Downloading at a speed of 116MB

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroShade

In Runtime
My internet connection had a spike and I just want an idea as to why or how this is possible. I have the average high speed package. And I have a wireless router thats capable of 54MB per second. How is it possible that within 5 seconds my download speed goes to 116MB? I downloaded a song in less then 1 second. Any ideas?

Describe the average high speed package. What is the advertised price? The general publics internet usually wont even come close to 54Mb/s.

A couple of thoughts.

1. The song you downloaded wasn't actually a song. It was some sort of file that could be compressed a lot more than an audio file. If you compress the file before sending it, some programs think your download speed is really fast.

2. Whatever's calculating the speed is measuring the File Size in MegaBytes and then doing the conversion to MegaBits/sec wrong. (this will causes an error of a factor of 8).

It sometimes depends on how many people have it and their connection speed. I'm not sure what kind of download program or manager your using, but I was using Azureus one day and wanted to get a file, my friend who lived about 5 houses away from me had already had the completed file and was seeding it. When I started downloading it, it was completed within a few minutes even though it was a 30MB file. So maybe someone close to you may have it. Or maybe you should buy yourself a lottery ticket.

i dont know, this happens to me some times, its actually kinda funny. i went to download halo trial from microsoft, and i forgot to click save and went to the store, came back and hit download, it took like 3 seconds then it said it was done, and i download about 90kb/s (and it was done, because i was able to run the file and play halo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom