downloading and installing problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccm0030

Baseband Member
weird problem whenever i try downloading aim or try to update my norton anti virus or things like that i get and error that says it could not connect to the internet and it does not let me install it. I can sownload it fine and i can get the icon on my desktop fine but when i go to install it thats when the error message pops up. the strange thing is that if i try downloading SOME other things it works fine. i tried changing the etehrnet cord bt it didnt do anything.

if anyone can help i would apreciate it.

thanks

A bit more information to help us figure out the problem. Are you connected to a router? What type of Internet connection are you using? Do you have any firewall running? What version of Windows is it? Just give us some more information as we can not just tell you what's wrong with so little to work with.

ok yes i am connected to a linksys router i am running windows xp i have dsl i do have a firewall with norton

i hope that helps
thanks

This sounds like a firewall issue to me. AIM needs to connect to the internet while it's installing, and you obviously need to have a connection to the internet to update norton.

You say you have a norton firewall, I assume thats an application based firewall(as opposed to a port/protocol based one). You need to go into the settings for norton and allow these programs.

I think it's more of a router problem, I can't see why Norton firewall/AV would block itself from updating. :p

He does have Internet connectivity from what he describe, he can download but can't use certain application to access the Internet. It could be a firewall issue, but just seem pretty odd that Norton doesn't work either when that's the only firewall you have right?

What is this Norton firewall? Anti-virus and firewall are two different thing, even though some AV have firewall features. Just be more specific about it :D

You need to connect directly to the modem first, see if you can get online and do what you need, then we can assume if it's either your computer or the router.

You might want to tell me the model of your Linksys router and the version. There should be a label on the router that will give you that information.

the strange thing is this just started happening i was able to connect to aim and i was able to do the live update from norton but now i am not able to. i will try to connect to the modem directly i just tried turing off norton anti virus and firewall and it still doesnt work

thanks for your ideas

its funny because when i try to update some of these programs it wont let me becuase i cant connect to the internet it says

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom