Download Speeds when two users are using the same connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chodders

Beta member
Hi Guys,

I am not sure if this questions has been answered in the stickies or somewhere (I did have a look) but I apologise if it has.

Currently I have my computer connected to a router. Most of the time my PC is the only one connected, but after work my house mate will often connect her laptop. Because when I moved in with my housemate she had signed up to a crappy ISP, we are locked into a contract for an ADSL connection where I can only get download speeds of about 28k. This is a little bit annoying because I was used to cable before I moved out.

Anyway, I can handle 28k/sec when I am the only user, but as soon as she starts downloading, my speed drops dramatically. This is particularly annoyng because I am a big WOW player and when she is downloading something my latency will often hit over 3k.

I don't think WOW uses that much bandwidth, is there anyway I can preserve a small amount of bandwidth exclusively for my computer? I am using a SMC Barricade router (SMC Networks - Power To Connect).

Anyway help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

wow is a huge bandwidth whore to tell you the truth. and yeah you'll see a noticeable drop in download speeds/latency in wow with someone else connected/downloading.

also welcome to tech forums, enjoy your stay :D

wow is a huge bandwidth whore to tell you the truth. and yeah you'll see a noticeable drop in download speeds/latency in wow with someone else connected/downloading.

also welcome to tech forums, enjoy your stay :D

The Latency would increase ;)

latency = distance, you want that low..

by drop i meant increase.. haha. IM BENCHING DON'T DISTRACT ME!!!

but you should just get a second connection and not disable the first. i would be a bit costly because you're paying for 2 connections, but that's a ridiculously low speed...

Check out your router settings to see if there is any allocation of bandwidth that you can use. My guess is there isn't, and you'll have to see if there is a third party software tool that you can use to allocate bandwidth.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I have had a look in the router settings and I couldn't see anything. I will have a look at some third party software but I think it might be a case of looking for a better ISP. Once again, thanks for the help. :)

The latter option sounds good :)
Ring them and tell them you are not happy with the service they are providing. Tell them you've had a look elsewhere and are thinking about switching.
Ask them if there's anything they are going to do about it. You may get a free package upgrade if they want your custom.

Cheers,

~ Tkey

TKEY has a great strategy going. I did that very thing a few months ago (told my cable provider that I was thinking of switching to DSL) and they basically upgraded me and reduced my monthly costs. All for just a phone call...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom