Download Speeds & Lost Connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

agentnibbles

Baseband Member
Ok, so here is my problem:

I have a cable connection through Earthlink.net, and a Linksys Broadband Firewall Router (model# BEFSX41) connected to a Toshiba Cable Modem (model# PCX1100). I am running Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2, and the only SOYO motherboard available. I share a network with my dad running Windows 98SE. I use a Linksys NC100 (10/100) network card in my motherboard, because the old onboard one on my motherboard "died". I live in Austin, Texas.

Whenever I try to download a file, it starts at around 130 kb/s, then declines to between 80 - (a heart stopping) 10 kb/s. I simply cannot live with this. Also, my Internet just shuts off for about 2 minutes, but I think that is something down at Earthlink.

HOWEVER, on my dads computer, he can download around 500 kb/s!! Its not right.

I have (tried to):
-Switch around cables on the router
-Used Firefox, and Internet Explorer
-Ran recent Spyware and Virus scans
-Use every command in ipconfig
-Downloading new and old files from a range of diffrent sources

Any and all help would be extremly appreciated.

paco likes de taco

you haven't check your network card, maybe it migh be faulty, or switch to different ports on the router maybe. Disabling any firewalls on your computer like the windows firewall?

Have you try connecting directly to the cable modem and try downloading a big file and see what's the constant speed?

ok, it was the network cable
the one i was using was crossover

so my dad bought 5 mbit/sec and it is all good now. =D i am happy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom