Download Speed Problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameGURU

Fully Optimized
Alright, so CableONE finally upgraded my internet speeds to 3000/300. The service that I had before said it was 1500/250. Well, at those speeds I got about 150 kb/sec downloads.

Now I get ~400kb/sec downloads BUT that is only for the first few seconds, after that it drops way down to 300kb/sec, also when doing DSL Reports, it says my service is 2500/400.

What's up with this?

I'm not sure on this, so take it with a grain of salt but........

When the download process starts, the files are being transferred to your machine for a few seconds before Windows prompts you for a location to save it, after you select a location, the process continues. Upon continuing the speed appears to be higher because part of the file has already been transferred. So you never actually reached that 400 kb mark, it just appears that way.

The reason why your download speed slows down after a little bit is because of a protocol called TCP. TCP sees that packets are flowing too fast and some arent getting to their destination properly, and slows the transfer speed.

Is 2500 always your connection speed? Dont forget that on cable internet, you are sharing your bandwidth with everyone in your neighborhood, and they might be using up a bunch of bandwidth while you are trying to. Try DSLReports at like 3am (if you can:D).

If you arent satisfied with your connection speed, try calling the cable company. They might be able to tell you more info than us here at TF can:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom