Dont know what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

paintballer

In Runtime
I have a microsoft 802.11b broadband router. I had a wireless usb adapter for my laptop, but it had wires and stuff so i didnt like it and I got a d-link usb adapter that has no wires or anything. I can get it to find the network but no matter what i do it wont register on the network. The ip is always either 0.0.0.0 or 169.something.something.something. I cant make this work no matter what I do. For my brothers birthday, which is today, we got him the same thing for his desktop and same problem. idk if its a problem with the router or what. everythign is 802.11b. My os is xp home his is me. Any input would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Sounds like the network is encrypted. Perhaps you should turn that feature off for now until you can get all of your computers talking to each other.

Then when you do get it all hooked up, turn the WEP back on.

Make sure that the XP firewall has been disabled. It sounds as if you are just not reaching the DHCP server and obtain an IP. What does the manual say. If it's straight out of the box, and you have your PC set to obtain an IP then there is something else going on here. WHat does the manual say about the Microsoft gateway/router out of the box? Can you connect to it via Cat5? If so, I would connect to it, and reset everything and then try to connect to it via wireless.

Yeah im just gonna reset the router and then leave wep off until i get it working, dosent matter, i live in the middle of nowhere lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom