Domain registering at 1&1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trifid

Fully Optimized
I am about to register a domain at 1&1 for mail and webserver, but I am unsure of what package I need? I like the idea of having the domain pointing to my PC (for costs). Will I be able to have unlimited whatever@mydomain.co.uk? How do I set it up to my PC (I already have a static IP which I currently use for the http server) so for this I just purchase a regular domain and no other fancy features?

What software will I need for SMTP? What happens to mail if/when my PC is off?

Thanks, Trif.

Some mail servers will bounce your e-mail if your IP address doesn't have an RDNS entry that matches the sender's domain.
You default RDNS entry will be something like blah.blah.blah.yourISP.co.uk

I had this problem when I was experimenting with my own mailserver. I can't have my ISP change the RDNS entry.

You could use a relay server for outgoing mails, but you won't have the benefits of using your own settings (eg. large attachments).

Thanks for the help. I am now talking to my ISP about it. (New years day support and a reply in 20mins from asking at 8pm.) :D

I will be pointing at my ISP email address. :)

I can't decide on a domain. :( Anything I have thought of has been taken and the only other one is not great to type out like google, as it is all on the left hand side of the KB. :(

Just one question though, will I be able to point the domain to my email account and to my PC for the HTTP/FTP?

Trifid said:
Just one question though, will I be able to point the domain to my email account and to my PC for the HTTP/FTP?

You should be, as with any DNS package. To be sure you should contact 1&1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom