Domain issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

C0RR0SIVE

Golden Master
Ok, we have a domain here at our vocational school, or atleast were trying to set it up. Now we have twelve student systems, all with XP Pro SP2, and a Windows 2003 SP2 server with 2gb of RAM and a SATA HDD with a Pentium D processor. Now here is what is going on, after setting up the domain, and the student systems to log onto the domain, it takes a good 15 minutes for a student to log on, get there data and everything. Does anyone know why this is happening??? Heck right now I have a gigabit connection between all the machines and everything, the server isn't being taxed what so ever when we have all the students log on at the same time...

So is there something that I am missing??? What could cause such a slow log on??? When we had 2000 server it wasn't slow..

Do an ipconfig/all and see where the DNS is pointing. If its not pointing to that server set up a static dns and use one of the ones from the ipconfig as the secondary.

How would I go about setting up a static DNS?? Just go to the TCP/IP config and change it under I am guessing advanced??? I haven't worked with 2003 till today X_X

On the workstation

where u set a static IP, but just set a static dns

do it on one first and see if that helps ur login issue

Thanks a lot, it cut the log on time down to about 30 seconds. Now, I know of group policy editor, we used it on each machine before we set up this domain, now how would I go about using the group policy editor on the server??? I know how to get to it, I just don't know how to get it to where users logging into the domain will have there policy's set according to the domain... Do I have to write a script or something??? Or can I actually use group policy editor on the server and set it to be for all users logging into it to retrieve it and set it for the workstation?

domain policy overrides local so thats no problem,

Your log in times depends if you have roaming profiles and redirects and if you have any group policies.

When logging in it

Loads computer policies
Loads user policies
Copy's roaming profile local to pc (you can cut your login time here)

If you do use roaming profiles you can redirect my documents/desktop/application data folders to the server which will exclude it from being dragged down from the profile server.

If this is not the case you can do two more things

Login as administrator of domain (fast/slow login)
Login as test user (fast/slow login)
Look at event logs of computer you log on as to see if going wrong anywhere
Look at event logs of domain controller to see whats happening.

Hopefully i'll come back to this thread and read your response.

Well, we have a few students that like to go around and change proxy settings and everything, well I am trying to make it easier on my teacher by using a domain now so that we only have to set everyone once, if at all possible. I was thinking once we got server 2003 running with a domain and all the computers running and logging in correctly that we could use group policy to set the proxy, and disable the options for them to change certain settings, but it doesn't appear to be as easy as I thought.

So the basic question is, how would I go about setting a policy or some sorta logon script to prevent users that log onto there workstation from changing certain settings in internet explorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom