Does WAN exist still?

Status
Not open for further replies.

linux1880

In Runtime
Does WAN still exist ? or everything is done on the internet ? i mean for private company and banks. Wondering, as i was going thru books.

from http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/w/wide_area_network_WAN.html

wan - wide-area-network

A computer network that spans a relatively large geographical area. Typically, a WAN consists of two or more local-area networks (LANs).
Computers connected to a wide-area network are often connected through public networks, such as the telephone system. They can also be connected through leased lines or satellites. The largest WAN in existence is the Internet.

here at my job we have another wan connection to an insurance processing firm via frame relay. Since they are hosting the server that's not in our building, its considered a wan connection.

sure wans exist. i work for a company that has a wan setup in more than 100 countries. if i log onto the internet from my office in seattle, it goes through a proxy server in columbia, maryland before it "goes out to the net".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom