Do you get what you pay for in router prices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akasixcon

This is sparta!
Looking at router prices, it ranges from $40 to over $600. Whats the difference between these routers? From what i've researched, it seems like I would want to buy a Draft N Wireless router. Right now they are selling a $60 Router N at bestbuy. But yah let me know what you guys think. I'm basically just needing a router for gaming wirelessly with over 5 people sharing the game via network to stream the game with different people.

Isnt that like a saying from long before anyone can remember?

You get what you pay for.

It is true. Spend the money get better stuff. I spent about $100 on my DLink router and it has not let me down in over 2 years. I spent $40 on a LinkSys from Wal-MArt and i had a ton of connection issues with it.

I'm going to disagree; routers from my experience lately tend to be very different. My friend's crappy D-link router never loses connection while my higher end linksys-n router constantly loses connection.

Obviously, the more you pay the more features you will get, but I will say that it doesn't necessarily mean it is a better quality product.

ummm definitely not true..
when in doubt avoid netgear and buy linksys..

linksys is a subdivision of cisco. and cisco and networking are like peanut butter and jelly. you can't go wrong.

I disagree actually, the past three linksys routers I have used, including my high end one, have been terrible performers. Cisco products may be good, but its unfair to praise linksys even if it's a subdivision of cisco.

My only problems with my Linksys have been of my own doing, save once when we had some severe storms and the power going off and on scrambled its brains real good.

D Link is Good. I have a Linksys that works great but it's slow as heck using encryption and it makes me really want to finally upgrade to something draft N.

Saxon's told me he really likes Belkin's draft n stuff for what it's worth.

I've never used a netgear router, it seems cheaply built to me. D Link and Linksys are probably my top two choices, just buy which ever is on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom