DNS zones question

Status
Not open for further replies.

perkoset

Baseband Member
Hey guys im working on my microsoft windows XP cert and am reading about DNS zones i am correct in thinking this is just another word for a network segment they seem the same to me.

No, little different. You can add a network segment with a simple switch over a LAN. Network Segments and Collision Domains are more similar than a segment and a zone. Imagine a domain of "techist.com" (If one even exists ;) ) Now lets say that I wanted to add a DNS zone to that domain. I could call it "quizes". So that zone would be "quizes.techist.com" You'd be able to edit properties just to that particular zone if you needed to.

*edit*
If you are the owner of the domain, you can add as many zones as you wish on that main domain!

Hope that helps!

-Mike

Ok that clears it up some. how are the zones physically seperated or do they just have to be seperated logicaly?

Its mainly a logical thing. The two zones could be sitting right next to each other....but they also could be countries apart. Like microsoft.com for example. The site windowsupdate.microsoft.com is in the same domain.....probably still in Redmond.....but is logically in a different "zone".

-Mike

hehe, thought I was gonna have to lay the smack down with some DNS knowledge, but looks like Mike beat me to it...... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom