DNS SERVER help plz!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atd332

Baseband Member
Ok, my internet is slower than alot of other peoples I know and we have the SAME broadband company, now our download rates are the same, but your website loading times are HUGE difference, I checked my DNS servers and they are in TEXAS i checked his and they appear to be in Michigan. When i pinged the SERVERS in TX, the response time for the one in texas i was getting times of 11MS or 10 or so, but i then pinged one that appeared to be in michigan (my friends computers DNS, he also has SBC yahoo dsl) and they were all over the board, sometimes in the 200's, but sometimes it would be like 200, 198 and 14. This is so weird, can anyone help me out on what is goin on here, and if there is anything i can do to increase my internet connection speed to his, he lives 2 houses down, and his webpage pulldown time is so much bettter than mine, i dont know whats goin on. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Would it have anything to do with the loaction of the Default Gateway that SBC provides? Im not sure, thanks so much guys!!

you can normally specify which the IP address of your DNS in your router, or failing that if using windows go to you network connection properties, then go to the TCP/IP settings and specify which DNS server you want to use.

Whether you have access to that server is a different matter, but if you are with the same ISP then it is possible. Remember though if you are not using the default DNS then if for any reason your ISP changes the IP address of the DNS then you wont be able to resolve any domain names again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom