"DNS server addresses" problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sykessler

Solid State Member
Hi,

When I'm on any network besides the one at home, I can get an internet connection fine with the default setting "Obtain DNS server address automatically".

When I'm at home on my own network, I have to check the "Use the following DNS server addresses", and type the DNS servers I've found forever ago that are somewhere in the router's status page.

It's a Linksys VoIP wireless router: WRTP54G. I've spent hours on the phone with Linksys with no luck. I called Adelphia (my Cable company) and the guy was helpful but still no luck.

I've done soft resets, hard resets, downloaded new firmware (according to one Linksys rep, though according to another only Vonage can update the firmware...hmm). I have the same problem with another laptop as well as a desktop, though those don't travel as much so they can stay with the assigned DNS addresses.

Is the router faulty? What else do you suggest trying.

Sam

P.S. The Adelphia guy said the Linksys routers have an inferior chipset...? True? Any substitute product recommendations: Wireless, VoIP, 54G?

Most likely the problem is with the DHCP server on the router or a bad firmware. Recently I have heard a lot of bad new about vonage and this particular router, but there are so many different version of this model, it's hard to tell which one has the DNS problem and which one don't.

So you'll have to provide me the version, look on the router, there should a label that will tell you.

No, there's no version number anywhere on it. Does that mean, perhaps, that it's the first version?

Shmuel

I would guess it's the first version, I just double check on Linksys website, there are only three models: WRTP54G, WRTP54G-ER, and WRTP54G-NA. All three being version 1.0.

I am guessing you're using the WRTP54G model right?

You are right about the firmware; it isn't available on the Linksys website for all three. There's probably no new firmware out.

But I don't think this mean it's still hopeless. You can still configure the DHCP server on the router to handle out the DNS address, just by telling it which one.

I am thinking that the DNS address from DHCP didn't get overwrite from the DHCP information coming from your ISP. You'll have to try navigating by yourself here and find the DHCP section (it should be in the Setup tab), there you will eventually find the DNS section where you can enter the DNS address for the DHCP server to handle out to the computers.

This is what I'm talking about http://www.slingmedia.com/support/RouterDB/WRTP54G-3.jpg

Thanks.

A couple of things. One is that the image you showed me has firmware version 1.28.xx whereas I have 1.00.20. I'm not sure whether that image is exactly my router or not but if it is it would seem there is a firmware update.

Second, yes. I'm using the WRTP54G with no suffixes.

Third, I'm attaching images of what my screen looks like, as it differs and tehre's no place to put the DNS addresses. (I erased MAC address and IP address; there were values there.

Shmuel

Image2.jpg

Image3.jpg

I was searching google and I've came upon a lot people with the same DNS problem, using the firmware 1.00.20. I think a firmware update should help resolve this issue.

Here's the link to Vonage http://www.vonage-forum.com/ftopic9581.html

Note: Always update the firmware over a wired connection! You must disable the wireless function before you proceed. You can turn it on later when the update has finish.

Note: Under the WIRELESS section, set "WIRELESS NETWORK MODE" to "DISABLED".

The options are "Mixed", "G-Only", "B-Only", and "Disabled".

Note: Use Internet Explorer

Note: Read through some of the users problem, and you'll get an idea.

im thinking you want to know the DNS server address
start-->run and type "cmd" and then type ipconfig /all
and should give you list of address like IP and DNS

Law -

Thanks SO much! Your assessment that I needed new firmware was absolutely correct. After updating it per the instructions in the forum you linked to, the problem has disappeared and I can switch networks effortlessly.

Thanks again.

Shmuel

Dota-

That was a good temporary fix but it didn't help me since I'm constantly switching networks. In the end, due to poor firmware, my router wasn't passing along the DNS addresses as it was supposed to.

THanks though, Shmuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom