DNS Frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante_Caligari

In Runtime
Despite my most sincere efforts, I have not been able to get DNS working.

I have Windows Server 2003 running on an old machine, with the IP as 192.168.1.12.

The Domain that I created was "SYMMETRIX.local."

When I try to connect to it on my XP Pro machine (with the IP of 192.168.1.11),

I get this error message when I try to connect:
The Format of the Specified Network Name is Invalid

Does anyone know what the heck is going on? I can provide a image of the DNS configuration on request, and I have tried everything, including changing crossover cables.

Most people I have talked to have not run into this problem. You have to subscribe to that site to get the solution.

make sure the primary dns setting on both your server and workstation are pointing to your local dns server(primary domain controller) and nothing in secondary

Dante_Caligari said:
Most people I have talked to have not run into this problem. You have to subscribe to that site to get the solution.

Scroll all the way down and the solution is there. Below the links.

The problem was related to moving the PC from one Domain to another!
Removing, and restoring the NIC drivers allowed me to add the PC to the new Domain. I was still unable to browse the network, and there were local file security problems as well.
Running the latest XP Service Pack resolved these issues.

My computer is part of a workgroup. That could be the problem. I am going to try removing the NIC drivers and re-installing them to see if that works. I will get back to you.

Just try entering SYMMETRIX instead of SYMMETRIX.local. Had some problem before when I tried joining my domain with the .com, just by entering the domain name instead of the .com work for some clients. I don't why. :p

I took some screenshots. Maybe this will help:

untitled-2.jpg

untitled3.jpg

untitled2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom