dns connecting to the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

24giovanni

Banned
hi I have 2 home pc's connected via a netgear router. is it possible to have 1 of my pc's access the internet via dns? This is what I THINK I have to do but I am not sure.

I enter my lan setup settings for my router, checkoff dhcp server, enter my pool starting address of ###.###.#.#, primary dns server of #.#.#.#, secondary dns server #.#.#.#. I believe that it for my router settings.

I then need to go into my network neighborhood, properties, select my tcp/ip netgear adapter, select properties, under ip address tab select specify an ip address, enter my computer's ip address and it's subnet mask.

Now a question I am not sure of do I have to select the dns configuration tab, select enable dns and then what? It's looking for host, not sure what to enter there. Then it asks for domain, which i believe is dsl.myispprovider.net. Then it asks for dns server search order which wants an ip address or so but i am not sure and then a domain suffix search order or so but i am not sure of that either.

Can someone please help me out. I would greatly appreciate it.

Basically, I use Firefox as my main browser and occasionally when I select a web page it will come up saying address not found. I checked out FF forum and multiple users said it's a problem caused by Zone alarm. One of the users who lives in the same state as I do said he did the following to solve the issue:

Here is how I solved the connectivity problem (with Verizon DSL). I entered Verizon's DNS address in my routers settings then I entered my routers ip address in network settings on my computer. This completely solved all connectivity problems for me. You will have to go to Verizons website to get the DNS address in your area. Mine is 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2. Don't forget to enter routers ip address in your network setiings.

So basically I am trying this out to see if it will resolve the issue. Will it and can anyone tell me exactly how to do it. I would appreciate it.

if you are checking off dhcp, then just let the gateway/router assign the IP addresses, mask and DNS settings. if you would like to use static addresses, then use an address in your ip scheme (192.168.x.x....or whatever) and then use the same dns addresses as your gateway/router uses. or, most likely, your gateway/router with cache these dns addresses and you can just use your internal ip address of the gateway/router as the computer's dns address. so if you use static addresses for your computers, one might look like this:

IP: 192.168.1.100
SM: 255.255.255.0
DG: 192.168.1.1
DNS1: 192.168.1.1
DNS2: not necessary

Your DNS addresses are 4.2.21 and 4.2.2.2? I know where those servers pysically reside!!
(It's easy to figure out..... ;) )

Mike , can you please help me out step by step with this if it's not a problem starting with my router is what I am doing correct?

I enter my lan setup settings for my router, checkoff dhcp server, enter my pool starting address of ###.###.#.#, primary dns server of #.#.#.#, secondary dns server #.#.#.#. I believe that it for my router settings.

DHCP Server ----box checked off
Pool Starting Address ---- ip address of that particular pc
Primary DNS Server ----- 4.2.2.1
Secondary DNS Server ---- 4.2.2.2

I aslo have my LAN settings as well.

That's all I need to do for my router, correct?

right, now just setup your computer to automatically obtain an IP address and you should be all set. you may need to do a "ipconfig /release" and then "ipconfig /renew" in order to obtain a new address but, this is all that you should have to do.

what if I want to use a static IP though? If I do, do you think that will solve the prblem with address not found that appears on occasions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom