Disabling router capabilities WRT54G

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrettNooyen

Beta member
I have a Linksys WRT54G v5 wireless router. What I would like to do is disable it's routing capabilities and treat it like a wireless access point. Basically just have it transmit a wireless signal from our network so that my laptop can connect. I'm not very fluent in networking, so could someone give me some steps or point me in the right direction with this?

Brett

Could you be a little more specific? I'll start with our network setup.

Modem -> Linux Box(acting as router) -> Netgear Hub -> Computer PC's(3 of them)

Right now for testing I have the Wireless router plugged in to one of the PC's from the Hub, then the Wireless router to the PC. Are you saying I should just plug the Wireless router into the hub and bypass all modem activity?

Will it pick up the Internet presence and broadcast it automatically? That seems too simple... I was expecting a little tougher troubleshooting for this problem.

Thanks!

scratch that.

disable dhcp on the linksys. give the wireless router a static address. configure the laptop's nic to connect to the wireless network. It should pull dhcp off the linux box; if dhcp is implemented.

post any problems.

Okay here's the status right now.

In the Linksys setup I disabled DHCP, assigned it from Automatic Configuration - DHCP to Static IP. I then gave it a static IP of 192.168.1.6 (open IP). I setup the default gateway to what it is on my network, as well as the DNS.

Now below on the main setup for the router it asks for a Local IP address. I'm not sure what to put here, but I changed it to 192.168.1.2. Not sure if it matters. Okay, so that was all setup. (BTW with these settings I no longer have internet to this computer)

On to the laptop. I tried two different things getting two different reactions.

1st I assigned the NIC the IP address of the router i gave above, 192.168.1.6. Assigned it all the same settings, DNS and gateway etc. It was able to connect to the wireless network, but could not get online.

2nd I let it pick an IP address automatically, but then when I did that it couldn't connect to the wireless network, said "limited or no connectivity"

Couple questions:
1. Am I missing a step in the LInksys configuration?
2. Whenever I put in the default gateway (which is 192.168.1.1), it never stays in there. Clears every time.
3. Was I right in assigning the linksys IP to my laptop NIC?

That's where I'm at right now.

Also if it helps at all, when I am able to connect to the wireless network I can indeed view all files on my shared network, so I know it's setup network wise. It's just not allowing Internet access on either computer.

Is there something I should be setting up in the Advanced Router Configuration? I changed it from GATEWAY to ROUTER, but that didn't seem to change anything so I put it back.

1. im thinking it could be an issue with cabling. I think you should have all straight cables. The cable connecting the hub to the linux box should be on the hub's uplink port; otherwise use a crossover. The cable connecting the hub to the linksys should be connected to the linksys's wan port. This should allow communication between the wireless network and the linux box.

set this up and try assigning a static ip to the wireless node. Set ip, subnet mask, and gateway (linux box ip). Try to ping the linux box. Once this works, we should be able to change the wireless node to pull from dhcp and have the linux box assign the proper ip config for inet access.

2. on which node?

3. all ips should be unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom