direct secure connection for home computers and phones?

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
how do I connect my computers and cellphones at my house for filesharing through wifi?

is dropbox pretty safe to use as far as privacy?

does it have a main server like for example D-Link security webcams where everything goes through a server ?

I have ARRIS SURFboard SBG6900-AC which I belive has a usb port for network storage and sharing but that's for another purpose.

I'm looking for an easy way to share files( mostly pictures) between my laptop desktop and cellphone.

using WIFI. I don't want to use Bluetooth

Dropbox uses the cloud. Just use LAN / network shares. Make sure everything is in the same Workgroup as far as desktops/laptops. Then right click any folders you want to share and change the sharing permissions and accounts to share with (i.e. specific users, 'Everyone', etc.). Then you should be able to access those shares on your other devices. For accessing via your phone, if it's an Android phone, use ES File Explorer - has an option to browse network shares.

do you have any links for me on how to set it up on desktop?
i remember trying to set it up since windows 98 and never was able to get it working properly where it would consistently work
i tried in win98 and win2000 and winxp and failed every time.

for some reason cant figure it out lol
i set everything up but it doesnt seem to connect to eachother. im stupid when it comes to network especially the windows network sharing

ok i finally managed to get the usb drive to work on my phone and desktop
but cant seem to find if its possible to use it as an image server similar to photobucket so i can move all my images on it instead of photobucket since its now dead to me.

or can i create a folder on my desktop and set it up as a fileserver so i can link images from it to forums instead of photobucket
will that make it consistent address so even if i move or change PC i can still set it up to have same address for forum links
i know if i shut down the desktop i obviously wont be sharing but this desktop is on most of the time

ok i finally managed to get the usb drive to work on my phone and desktop
but cant seem to find if its possible to use it as an image server similar to photobucket so i can move all my images on it instead of photobucket since its now dead to me.

or can i create a folder on my desktop and set it up as a fileserver so i can link images from it to forums instead of photobucket
will that make it consistent address so even if i move or change PC i can still set it up to have same address for forum links
i know if i shut down the desktop i obviously wont be sharing but this desktop is on most of the time

Would have to set up a web server to run from your system to be able to serve the content.

You would have to either buy a domain and setup an A-Record or use a dynamic DNS service so that if/when your public IP changes, you don't have to manually change the record on the domain host.

Back
Top Bottom