Direct connecting

Status
Not open for further replies.
OH so your internet connection is .... phone line to the modem, then cat5 cable from the modem ( broadband ) to your pc / notebook ? you have DSL/adsl or cable ?
if cable just turn off everything and turn back on one at a time starting with modem and wait then turn on the pc.
if dsl ..how are you authenticated on the your network ?

ok great

going from the wall , ...do you have a phone line from a phone outlet going to the modem ? - or - a round coax cable with screw on connectors on either end going to the modem ?

..and your internet worked prviously , this is not a new installation ?

I think i just need to know how to make a direct connection in network connections like a cable from router to comp

Cable internet won't be coming over a phone line, not enough bandwidth. The round cable is called a coaxial cable.

Ok Sidious, you say you have the ethernet cable (CAT 5 is another name for this) connected from the wireless router to your computer? And the same from the modem to the wireless router? Do you have windows xp on your computer? I'll assume you do. Go to start --> run --> and type "ipconfig". You should get an IP of something like 192.168.0.x. X standing for whatever number your router has assigned to your pc. If not either try the commands "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" or you can restart your computer. Do you have any other computers on your network?

Once you can execute the "ipconfig" command in a command prompt and get a good output, you should be able to access the internet. If not we can troubleshoot from there. If you do have problems, make sure your modem lights are all on, and one or two should be blinking.

In a web browser put this address: http://192.168.0.1 This should be the IP of your router. This won't work if you don't have an IP address. The username and password vary between manufactuers. Sometimes there is no username and the password is admin (such as the case on most linksys boxes). Whatever yours is, it should either be in your manual or on the router itself. Once in the router control panel, I would disable the wireless side of it if you don't need it anymore. A lot better security this way. Hope that helps.

am i typing ipconfig with the wireless disabled and the CAT 5 in? Cuz when i do it now with my wireless it opens the command prompt thing then closes right away same with the others and to be click how by holy system works is.

High speed --> Modem --> Wireless Router

Wireless Router goes to --> My computer, Bros Computer, Dads laptop, and theres a computer beside the router it just has the usb adapter but i dont think it servers a purpose no1 uses it.

Now i brung my computer beside the router and doing a direct connect and still need the wireless for dad and bro.

My bad, I told you wrong. Start --> Run --> type "cmd" and press enter. Then type "ipconfig". I would disable the wireless card in your computer if I were you, it just confuses things. You could even take it out if you want. Restart the computer and windows should automatically attain an IP for you. If you can't browse the internet upon a restart, post the output of ipconfig and try my other suggestions from my last post. I guess you can't disable the wireless part of the router then now can you.

Alrght i disabled the wireles sin network connections then in the cmd type ipconfig and it said "Windows IP configuration" or something like that then thats it. I rebooted my comp and tried it again and same thing. I couldnt acces internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom