Different T568b standards?

The Napster

In Runtime
I'm a little confused. So I know the difference between t568a and b, but I have seen two different definitions of what 568b's color code actually is. When I google it the normal wo, o, wg, b, wb, g, wbr, br comes up on most of the top searches and this is the standard I use every day. What confuses me is that in other searches the standard is wb, b, wo, o, wg, g, wbr, br and I have even seen a couple patch panels have this key stuck to the surface for "quick reference".

Now am I missing something here? Is there two different T568-b color codes or am I confusing a basic somewhere here? Maybe one is for telephones and another for data networking or did they just change the standard at one point?

Any help clearing this confusion is much appreciated.

this the correct wiring for either cables.

Remember that this is also looking at the plug with the tab down. A lot of people look at the plug with the tab up when wiring and it does not work well that way.

1343747829379.jpg

The connections for punchdown blocks (like you see in patch panels) start with white/blue and blue. You would terminate ethernet cables they way you see it in the diagram posted above, but you couldn't wire a punchdown the same way.

This is strictly for punchdowns like the back of this cat5 patch panel:

568ab.jpg

Ah ha, so the difference is that one standard is for punch-down panels and the other is strictly for the cabling. There would be the difference I'm looking for. I just assumed that the pin-out standard was the same no matter how you terminated it. Guess I missed the part where it specified what the T568 standard applied to.

not really the answer you were looking for but I though I would throw it out there...The color really doesn't matter, its the pin out on either side of the cable that matters.

Back
Top Bottom