Different Subnets...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff1000

In Runtime
Hmm, me and a friend are trying to forward ports to run a cod server. but the issue that we have narrowed down to is different subnets... i think this because i have 2 routers on my network... very ghetto set up, and theyre both different brands, can the issue of having two different routers (brands) create 2 different subents? heres a diagram of my network...
network3xs.jpg

and to get this clear to me "defualt gateway" = routers ip right? thanks guys

By a routers default settings they should be on the same subnet in theory. If they have there default class C settings they should have a 255.255.255.0 subnet. The brands should have no effect on the subnet or for that matter IP class. I have not seen a router come out of the 192.168.0.0 range or 255.255.255.0 although the IP may very slightly some may be 192.168.0.1 or others 192.168.1.1 (now of course I am talking home based routers not enterprise style routers).

These are all in the same house right?I would get these all on one network then port fowarding will come MUCH easier. It sounds like you have two networks going on (not so much differnt subnets, but differnt IP ranges). To be able to provide more help I need you to tell us what your current setup is in detail. What are the IP address's of both routers that there will tell us a lot. Then perhaps give us one IP from machine that is connected to one router then an IP from a machine connected to the other router.

If the netgear is using the NAT and routing, you need to foward a port on both the netgear and the linksys

Apparently if the two routers are both DHCP servers they need to be on different subnets anyway.

192.168.0.1 or others 192.168.1.1
Thats exactly what the difference is...
They are Homebased routers, and the only reason why i have this ghetto set up is because the xbox and my computer (proposed server) are on different floors of my house. But I think I'll wire my computer to the linksys router, just for simplicity.

You should be able to set up a static route in the firmware of the router

jeff1000 said:
Thats exactly what the difference is...
They are Homebased routers, and the only reason why i have this ghetto set up is because the xbox and my computer (proposed server) are on different floors of my house. But I think I'll wire my computer to the linksys router, just for simplicity.

Have you ever heard of a switch? Instead of multiple routers that's what you use.

I heard of it , i just done really grasp the concept...well its got lotta ports(plugs) and theyre for like lan parties right? and multiple systems? and they make wireless ones?

A switch does this

You plug it into your router (any port) or another switch, and you can plug more PC's into that switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom