Difference between Network Cable and Patch Cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qbbraveheart

Baseband Member
patch cable is from the router or hub to the pc's right

whats network cable then?

so when I go to buy like 100ft of patch cable is it called straight thru cable or patch cable?

Network cable is the same thing. Only thing I guess is patch cbale may already have the RJ-45 connectors attached. It's all pretty much CAT-5 or CAT-5E or CAT-6 anyway. The way you insert the wires into the RJ-45 is critical to what you are using it for as straight thru, crossover, and rollover all have different "patterns". And thus do different things for different reasons.

Patch cable is network cable but the two wires on the outside of the connectors are switched. Network cable goes to the pc patch cable hooks 2 routers together or 2 pcs without a router. This is what I have been told.

superdave1984 said:
Network cable is the same thing. Only thing I guess is patch cbale may already have the RJ-45 connectors attached. It's all pretty much CAT-5 or CAT-5E or CAT-6 anyway. The way you insert the wires into the RJ-45 is critical to what you are using it for as straight thru, crossover, and rollover all have different "patterns". And thus do different things for different reasons.

I agree with this statement.

Straight through cables are for:
-Computer to home-related routers(Linksys and D-Link Routers are actually a switch and a router combined. This is why you connect a with a straight through instead of a crossover).
-Computer to Hub or Switch.
-Computer to Modem
-Router to Modem

Crossover cables are for:
-Computer to Computer
-Computer to Router (not the one's you have in your home).
-Router to Router.

Rolled (or Rollover) cables are for:
-Connecting to routers (again, not the kind in your home) to work on them and otherwise set them up).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom