Dialup tries to take over

Status
Not open for further replies.

hilowe

Daemon Poster
Here's my problem.

I'm working on a computer for a friend of my wife. This computer is running XP Home, and had spyware and viruses on it. I was able to download Spybot, Ad-aware, and Norton updates on my computer, and burn them to all to a cd. I used this CD to get rid of most of what is on this computer.

I'm trying to connect this computer to the internet, now, so I can get some updates on it. My problem is this. Her dialup ISP is Netscape. I've installed a wireless client on her computer, assigned a static IP, and told Internet Explorer to Never dial a connection. XP tells me that it has found my wireless connection, and has a good connection. I thought I had everything setup correctly.

Every time that I open Internet Explorer, the Netscape dial up box pops up. When I close it, Internet Explorer goes to "working offline."

I can't connect to anything on the internet, even though I have a cable connection to the internet that I'm trying to get it to use.

What am I missing?

since your wireless im assuming you're connecting to a wireless router. boot the pc and check your network status (ipconfig /all). try pinging the router. try ping an outside address (216.109.118.66 - yahoo.com). try pinging an url www.yahoo.com.

I would think that your system is trying to connect to the inet but cant, so it trys to dials out. Is there a netscape setting to never dial a connection?

DantheMan, I was trying to avoid having to uninstall the dialup. I was looking at that as a last option.

csamuels, you're right. I'm connecting to a Linksys wireless router. Doing an ipconfig /all shows the ip adress, gateway, and DNS servers that I've manually assigned. When I try to ping an outside address, such as google, sometimes the Netscape dial up box will come up, sometimes it won't. It can't find it.

I haven't tried pinging the router, though. I have looked through the options on the ISP dial up box that comes up, and can't find anything in that. That is exactly what seems to be happening, though, is it tries to connect to the internet, can't for some reason, and brings up a dial up box. I don't understand why, though, as I used the exact same settings as are on my wife's computer, which is currently off the network.

Maybe I'll set the router to use DHCP for a short while, and see if XP is talking to the router.

hilowe said:

Every time that I open Internet Explorer, the Netscape dial up box pops up. When I close it, Internet Explorer goes to "working offline."

One of the things you should try, is to click the tools menu on your browser, and scroll down to internet options. From there you click on the connections tab, and remove any devices in the dialup and vpn settings box.
Then, click on the file menu on the browser, and scroll down to the work offline option and remove the checkmark beside it. Close your browser and re-open it.
That should do the trick.

~ Fawks

try pinging the router. This will confirm that a network connection exists between the two.

If it fails, reconfigure or uninstall/reinstall the wireless network adapter and double check your router's wireless settings.

If its successful, check to see if your router is connected to the inet. Can another machine connected to the router connect to the inet? Are there ip address conflicts?

I can tell you right now that there are no ip address conflicts, and my computer can connect to the internet.

I haven't had a chance to try this stuff, because I'm still at work.

Well, I think I possible found my problem, and it has nothing to do with the computer.

csamuels had it the closest, when he said it sounded like the computer was trying to communicate, and couldn't.

I checked the wireless connection status, and saw that the computer was sending packets, but wasn't receiving any. I disconnected my wife's friends computer, and reconnected my wife's computer. My wife's computer couldn't access the internet, even though it used to be able to.

I unhooked my computer, and connected the friend's computer in it's place. I'm now posting this message from it.

So, in short, it looks like I have a problem with my Linksys wireless router. I knew it had been acting funny, but I could always unplug it, and when it rebooted, it worked fine. I'll have to do this later, after I finish with this computer.

Thank you for all of your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom