From dial-up to wi-fi ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekster

In Runtime
I have 2 desktop comps on dial-up because of my location. I bought my wife and kids 2 laptops with built in wireless. Can I just pop in a local wi-fi cafe and surf broadband without a high speed IP? If I can , how do I configure the laptops to access the wi-fi ?

when a laptop finds a WI-FI signal, it usually has a name such as "wireless location" and it gives options to connect.

Some places put a password on their wireless signals to stop hackers however...

Three, not sure what you are referring to there, but there was no mention of wi-fi via dial-up.... He said that they have 2 desktops, with dialup, because they cannot get a broadband connection at their location. The built in wireless he is talking about is the laptops internal wireless capabilities.

Geekster.... YES, if the laptops have wireless set up, and you find a Hotspot, then you can indeed use the internet there. Some large cities have hotspots, and also some stores like Starbucks have hotspots as well. many times, these are free, and you do not have to pay. It doesn't matter who your HOME ISP is, you would be using a totally different connection.

When I took my girlfriend down to Florida 2 months ago, the resort we stayed at was in a Wi-Fi hotspot, and we were able to get online for free.

Ethereal_Dragon said:
Three, not sure what you are referring to there, but there was no mention of wi-fi via dial-up.... He said that they have 2 desktops, with dialup, because they cannot get a broadband connection at their location. The built in wireless he is talking about is the laptops internal wireless capabilities.

Ethereal_Dragon - I think that Three was going of the topic of the thread, "From dial-up to wi-fi ?" When I read the title, I thought that he wanted his dial-up to become wireless (granted this is without reading the post, but.. gota defend the defenseless). This is what I thought about when I saw the title, as well (as a matter-a-fact, before reading the post I remembered WiFlyer, and was going to just automatically link him to it here.

Steve

Why would you want to set up wireless dial-up anyways. Dial-up is so slow there is no point in trying to modernize it with things like wi-fi. Just get a high speed alternative.

^umm ya he wasnt talking about wireless dial up.. he was talking about wireless broadband that you would find at places like starbucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom