DHCP/Xbox360/Wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechDude

Baseband Member
I use my laptop as the wireless router for my xbox 360. It seemed to be working fine about three days ago, but it has now quit working. The story behind this is I went to stay at a friends and brought my laptop along and hardwired it in at his house and I believe thats why it isn't working.

I have done all the steps I did before, and it still seems to not work. Also when i go to command and do ipconfig /all it says my DHCP is off when on my router screen it is ON!

Any ideas?

[When I do the xbox live connection wizard it fails on the IP address, and I have already did port forwarding and got a stati ip etc]

It sounds to me from this statement, that you are looking in 2 different places.....

"Also when i go to command and do ipconfig /all it says my DHCP is off when on my router screen it is ON!"

The network adaptor on your PC can be set for DHCP or static IP addressing. This setting on your router is complely different. The router is the DHCP server, and hands out the addresses. If the computer's DHCP is off, go to your network connections folder in the control panel. Right click on the network adaptor, and select properties. In the box, scroll down to "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)". Click on it, then hit the properties button. From here, it is pretty easy... either the radio button has 'obtain IP automatically' or the static IP option.

It sounds to me from this statement, that you are looking in 2 different places.....

"Also when i go to command and do ipconfig /all it says my DHCP is off when on my router screen it is ON!"

The network adaptor on your PC can be set for DHCP or static IP addressing. This setting on your router is complely different. The router is the DHCP server, and hands out the addresses. If the computer's DHCP is off, go to your network connections folder in the control panel. Right click on the network adaptor, and select properties. In the box, scroll down to "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)". Click on it, then hit the properties button. From here, it is pretty easy... either the radio button has 'obtain IP automatically' or the static IP option.

I just wanted to make sure the DHCP wasnt "closed" I pretty much did exactly what you said and it still fails to work. I even emailed XBL and they can't really help over the inet. So I guess am I just screwed?

Sorry, I didn't read your post correctly the first time.... Didn't see that you were connecting the XBoX to the laptop....

Question 1:.... can the LAPTOP access the internet via wireless? AT ALL? (forget about the xbox for this question)...
Question 2: Have you made sure ICS (Internet connection sharing) is enable still on the laptop?

Sorry, I didn't read your post correctly the first time.... Didn't see that you were connecting the XBoX to the laptop....

Question 1:.... can the LAPTOP access the internet via wireless? AT ALL? (forget about the xbox for this question)...
Question 2: Have you made sure ICS (Internet connection sharing) is enable still on the laptop?

Yep it has access and I have it so it can share connections. What I don't understand is it was working fine for a week, I leave and come back and its screwed.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom