DHCP problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ifty_50

Solid State Member
Hi,

I have a windows 2000 DHCP server setup which assigns IP addresses to workstations on the network.

I also have a BT voygaer 205 for the internet which has an IP address of 192.168.1.1. This router can also act as a DHCP server .
But the problem is when i disable the routers DHCP i only wish to use the servers DHCP, but how do i tell the servers DHCP to use the routers IP address (192.168.1.1) so the other wokstations on the network can connect to the internet through the routerts IP address but are still assigned a DHCP address from the server and not the router?

I remember reading somewhere you add the address, but how does this work and how do you set this up?

my network consists of the following:

3 workstations
1 switch
1 server running DHCP
1 ADSL Voyager 205 Router

thanks

I'm gonna take a guess here.
Setup the server with a static IP (out of the range of the DHCP server) and make sure that the gateway address is the address of the router and the DNS points to the router as well.
I think that when this is done the clients will then take the gateway address and DNS from the server. If not then you will have to manually setup the gateway addresses.

The server should always have a Static IP. A DHCP server has somthng called "scope options" with in the scope you have a range of ip addresses to give out, dns addresses, and *gatetway* addresses.

this applies to '03, but it applies to 2000 as well.... http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/DHCP_Server_Windows_2003.html

make sure your entering the correct info! if not your netwrok will seem down, well will be down....

hope this helps,
Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom