DGL-4300 Wireless Gaming Router

Status
Not open for further replies.
i will say one thing, you can never put gaming and wireless in the same sentence with any device. Wireless will never be able to handle games like hard line its just how it goes. there will always be something to interfere with the signal and any wireless device has to accept all interference. the signal will always intermittently drop out here and there. stuff you dont notice on regular use but you will in a game when your trying to run away from being killed.

well the main reason i want it for is its 4 gigabit ethernet ports, which is great if i want more computers in the future. it also means if i ever get a laptop i can use that around the house, along with my PDA and my NDS. also means i can have an OK lanning session in another part of the house, because id have the router in my bedroom.

oh yeah i understand the benefits of a wireless router. but to call it "gaming" is just for marketing to appeal to a certain crowd.

have you ever seen CD's at best buy labeled "for music" you can use any recordable CD on earth to burn music to, but people see that word and thats what they want to do so they think its better for that use.

a "gaming" router is no different then any other router.

yeah i know, its for marketing.

just like "vista ready" monitors. lol i mean come on its a monitor, one from 1982 is vista ready.

a "gaming" sounds card, i mean yeah it makes games sound great. but it does the same thing to movies and music.

you notice how every single device has a "gaming" version but if you look around other companies have products with the same specs that arent labeled gaming.

like 2000 dpi mice, some are labled gaming some are just labeled mouse. but people who play games are more likely to buy something that is labeled gaming.

im just saying its a marketing technique to appeal to that crowd to think that device is catered to them.

a router is a router is transmits packets of data no mater what it is, i can label that router a "cinema router" to appeal to people who want to watch videos across a network.

sorry for the long post just wanted to explain it in a little depth.

yes i know how you see it and i am also very cynical in that sense. either way, im getting it for half the price, hoping no one outbids me on eBay. ill say again, i want the 4 separate gigabit-Ethernet ports and wireless just for convenience. the gigabit Ethernet is good for gaming. end of story. im not getting it for its name. ill say for a 3rd time, its got 4 separate gigabit-Ethernet ports. you cant argue with that for lan gaming.

When I moved into my apartment last year, I was planning on getting one of those, but I couldn't find one in stores, and needed a router in hand that day, so I settled with a D-Link WBR-2300. My only draw to that one also was the Gig Ethernet ports, since I have a large NAS on my network. Let me know how it works out if you get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom