Dgl-4300

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake-Eyes

Daemon Poster
Just bought this new router hoping to solve my problems. I started with a Linksys BEFSX41v2 and the troubles were being kicked off of always-online programs like AIM, or Xfire. It would always freeze or restart itself while i was playing Counter Strike Source. Finally got sick of it. The freezing/restarting (not sure what it was doing) was happening every two minutes, maybe three minutes, causing CS:S to freeze for periods of 30 seconds up to 40 seconds. Bought the D-Link DGL-4300 and a wireless card for one of the three computers in the house. Currently have my computer in the first spot, with my father's computer in the second, and my mother's on wireless. The modem i am using is a Motorola Surfboard SB5120, if that is relevant.

I still seem to be having the freezing/restarting problems with this new router. They happen much less frequently, and with less intensity (the freezing/restarting makes CS:S freeze for 10 to 25 seconds). It doesn't physically feel very hot, having read of one person having an overheating problem. All the connections are secure, and no wire is kinked (to my knowledge, just installed this thing last week Friday) or broken/damaged.

What could the problem be? Sorry if it's too vague.

Just sounds like you have too much going on.
What connection speed to you get from your ISP?
How many processes do you have running?
What is your RAM usage/availability BEFORE launching said games?
What about CPU usage too?
I'm guessing your x800 is AGP too, right?
How much onboard RAM does it have?
Are your parents online when it happens?

Just to get things started...

-Connection speed i get (via speakeasy.net's speed test) is generally 15000Kbps or better download, with just under 1500Kbps upload.
-Nothing more that i can control (read: Windows processes) than Steam+CS:S, and Xfire.
-Generally available is at least 600K, and that was after a bit of copy-pasting music to a mp3 player.
-CPU usage is very low. <10%.
-Correct, X800 is AGP. Hopefully soon to be upgrading my whole computer.
-256MB i believe is the correct figure you're asking for.
-They can be, or not. It doesn't matter. If no programs (ie. Firefox, Outlook Express) are open on the other two computers, it still happens. It happens only slightly more frequently when someone else is online.

Just out of curiousity, are you using the SAME cables that you did BEFORE the router upgrade? This LIKELY isn't the issue, because faulty cables shouldn't cause the router to freeze.

Do this.... put ONLY ONE host on the router, leave the other disconnected, and see if you can re-create the problem. Perhaps one of them has virus/worm traffic that it is putting on the network, causing the router to crash. This can happen in enterprise networks, so I dont doubt that it could cause this in a small home LAN. If you ARE able to re-create the problem, then quickly check the status of the LED's on BOTH the router and modem.

I had a similar problem at my apartment, and it ended up being that the cable modem was losing signal from comcast, and everytime I re-booted the router, it sent a signal to the modem which I guess did a soft reset or something, and it would come back for a short time. This would happen a few times, then disappear for hours, days, weeks, whatever, and come back... I am SOOOO glad to be moving and being able to cancel ALLL of my COMCAST service....

I think that you should check and see if you have the newest drivers for your chipset, and if not, just install them and see if that works for you.

@Eth - I am using the same ethernet cables, however, i did make a new cable from the electrical box outside to the modem (the coax cable, like TV cable). I do not think this is the problem, because i believe i did it correctly, however, i cannot confirm this.

@Str8 - This motherboard is long gone. The support for it was dropped after 2-3 months it was out, it is my understanding. There are no newer drivers for this chipset. BTW, i am using a PCI LAN card, because the ethernet port on this mobo is fried.

sounds like to me that your chipset may be the problem, seeing as how your on-board LAN isn't even working. Maybe try another PCI card if you haven't already done so.

I'll try that tomorrow. The only problem is, when the lock up in the game occurs, the light for my port on the router and the activity light on router start blinking. The modem lights never change, BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom