Dfs & Frs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcr4nf

Baseband Member
Ok, so... I'm having some issues with setting up DFS with replication on my office network. I don't know all that much about it and it seems that every piece of literature I find is vague. So I'm asking for some input. I have it set up and the DFS part seems to be working great but I don't know if I have replication. I've worked through all the steps but I'm not sure if it's working. Here are some questions.

When it says replication does it literally mean that it will trasfer files from one location on the network to DFS link that is set up? Meaning will the actual files reside in both places or am I misunderstanding something. I know without FRS the DFS will just link to another folder so it appears that the info is there when it's really just a link. As far as I understand it FRS is for fault tolerance, but would it automatically copy the info or will I need to manually do this?

Thanks for any help.

JasonChristopher

Please, if anyone knows anything about this it would be awesome if you could help me.

Hey Jason, I think me and you are on the same boat, both confused about DFS. Though I have never play around with it and I've been reading about so here's what I think.

In Server 2003, they said DFS can replicate the shares, creating fault tolerance instead of just creating a centralize map drive to multiple shares in multiple areas.

I also notice that in Server 2000 they did not mention anything about this beside replication of the Domain DFS root using active directory, and shares must be manually distributed to other server if you want a fault tolerance state.

But I think a lot of things might have changed for Server 2003. IÂ’ll keep you notify if I could understand this.

Thanks.

I was originally remoting into the 2000 server to set this up and noticed that when I tried to set up the replication I didn't have an option to do this. Since then I've been using the 2003 admin tools from my desktop to work with it and I get the option and it seems to be set up correctly but I don't see any replication. Do you think there could possibly be some sort of conflict since i'm not using the 2000 admin tools? And do you think if I manually transfered the files that FRS would manage them and make changes as necessary?

JasonChristopher

In case anyone was curious I found out what the problem was. There were previous failed attempts by the person who worked here before me to set this up. He had a bunch of different badly configured replications set up to start that didn't work and was causing FRS to shut itself down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom