Detecting and locating a wardriver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKS

Solid State Member
I already know that a netstumbler user can be detected due to the packet it emits whenever it finds a network. Is it possible to setup a system so that it can actually show you geographically where the driver happens to be?

probably not, I do not think such a thing exsists. I know some software triangulates WiFi signals but it is only accurate up to a couple hundred meters.

You should spend time protecting your network, rather than trying to find them, and even if you get a hold of some type of "tracking" software, you are going to get alot of false alarms. You will basically be trying to track down people that drove by your house doing 35mph.

Oi, no. Radar. No.

NetStumbler has the ability to use GPS in conjunction with the wardriving, but as far as I know the best that'll get you is your location on a map, not the signal itself. It may be able to determine the location of the hotspot by now, but I'm not sure... It may be something you want to look into.

well he is trying to find where a wardriver is, not where somebody elses network is.

Also wardriving with a GPS is ok to use. Consumer based GPS is accurate up to <30meters. Also I think the script that handles the mapping of the networks plots out it out when a WiFi signal is first received. I think it should be modified to plot the network out when the signal peaks at strength. So dont expect wardriving with GPS to be accurate. It will give you an idea on where they are....... Like a 300ft radius.

Right, I read the post wrong, that was my fault.

Locating where a war driver physically resides is nearly impossible as far as any technology available to the public goes. The router sends out beacons and a passive wardriver generally just listens for the beacon and collects packets. It's kind of like asking who can hear you if you scream outside, plenty of people can hear you but they don't all acknowledge it. If I'm wrong, someone correct me, but that's my understanding of wardriving.

you can ussally locate the ones that sit in their cars in front of the house of the victim, being illuminated with the glow of a laptop screen lol :p

JKS said:
I already know that a netstumbler user can be detected due to the packet it emits whenever it finds a network. Is it possible to setup a system so that it can actually show you geographically where the driver happens to be?

Wardriving is legal, what are you going to do when you catch us?

Re: Re: Detecting and locating a wardriver?

DJ-CHRIS said:
Wardriving is legal, what are you going to do when you catch us?

wardriving is legal up till' you use the network without proper authorization.

But yeah, I would like to know what he would do, if he did catch somebody?

Re: Re: Re: Detecting and locating a wardriver?

uzi9mm said:
wardriving is legal up till' you use the network without proper authorization.

Not wardriving anymore than :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom