Desktop's ethernet ports not working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akumajin

Baseband Member
So I just reset my router and am running a wire from said router to my desktop and the DT won't read the internets.

If I plug said cable into my laptop everything is AOK, so we can (presumably?) throw out any cable/router/modem problems. I went into my BIOS and all of my network controllers are enabled, and my DT's internet worked days ago at my other place, and I never changed a single setting (but it was a different router).

Also if I try ipconfig in cmd on the DT I do get an IP, subnet mask and default gateway, but no internet at all. And I mean no traffic - I have a monitor for that so I'm not just trying web browsers. The light is on in the back of my DT where the ethernet plugs in (green light) as if it is OK, but then I get the two computers with a red x saying "A network cable is unplugged" when the cable is plugged in to my DT (not my laptop). I have 2 ethernet ports and the top one doesn't light up or give me an IP.

Any ideas? My e-sata drive has not been working through e-sata but fine through USB, so I have been thinking my mobo may be going bad. The DT is less than a year old and is running the ABIT P35K mobo, on XP x64 professional.

Any ideas?

EDIT: More info - as far as network adapters I have
1394 Net Adapter
Realtek RTL8169/8110 family Gigabit Ethernet NIC and
Realtek RTL8169/8110 family Gigabit Ethernet NIC #2

All 3 seem to be functioning fine. In device manager I do have a yellow question marked Unknown Device under Other devices, but I don't think that has anything to do with this problem.

Can you post the results you get from an ipconfig /all on the laptop versus the computer in question?

you need to enable dhcp for the desktop's network connection

open control panel > network connections > right click lan connection 2 > click properties

select automatically assign for ip and dns addresses. click ok

edit - or you could set ips in the 192.168.2.x range. match up dns addresses with the laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom