Data transfer Lag Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

DmOshEYE

Solid State Member
Hey guys,

Its been a while since I've visited..but I have a couple of questions..

I have 3.5 Mbps cable....I'm using a Linksys Broadband Router

I also have two phone ports on this router with 4 ports for internet connections..

I have a digital line for both my fax and home phone...

Whenever I receive or make phone calls or fax....and I'm connected online with my computer FILE SHARRING....

The phone is breaking up like Cell phones in out of range areas....or there is just some sort of distortion due to the Uploading of files at the sametime or downloading...

Is there a filter I can use that will allow a three (phone, fax file sharring /internet surfing) to maintain its consistency?

I have another router...can I use it to equal the data transfer?

I don't know...I know there is a filter which will allow this but I don't recall what it is called so I can't look it up..

I also know I can use a Gigabit Switch but it doesn't have the phone ports I need...(Can I use the Switch along with the Router? Yes I should be able to but what will I need to connect the two?)

I'd greatly appreciate all the help ASAP...lol...its troublesome to shut down something when i want to do them all at the same time..

Thanks;)

I need to know the model of the Linksys, look underneath there should be a sticker with the hardware version and firmware version.

Something like Linksys “model” ver. #, you can get the firmware version in the router configuration if it isn’t listed on the sticker.

What is the firmware version on the currect router you're using and who is your VoIP company? You also need to specify the 'Voice Quality Settings" you are using.

VOIP is Vonage

Bandwidth settings is at 30 Kbps (Normal settings)

and firmware?....uhhhhh...where exactly would I find the programming code that runs this model? I have no idea unless it's in the Configuration

http://www.vonage.com/help.php?article=942&category=46&nav=4

Tips for Resolving

* From your Vonage account, there is a feature called the bandwidth saver. This feature controls the amount of bandwidth used for a phone call. Try adjusting the bandwidth saver to either medium or normal. After you adjust your settings, test and see if there is a difference in the audio quality. Please note that when you change bandwidth saver it could take a few minutes for the device to reboot and take the changes.
* Reboot all of your devices (Vonage device, any routers and cable / DSL modems). Read how to reboot (power cycle) your network devices.
* Ensure that your Vonage device is at least four feet away from any other device.
* Ensure your Vonage device is in a well ventilated area to keep from overheating.
* Ensure no file sharing, P2P applications, or large downloads are running while you are using the phone. These activities can use up most of your bandwidth, leaving little left for your calls.
* Connect your Vonage device directly to your cable / DSL modem, if it is not already. If this helps the audio quality, then the problem is occurring between the Vonage device and modem.
* If your Vonage device connects to another router and not directly to your cable / DSL modem, try disabling any firewalls or SPI (State full Packet Inspection) on that router. Click here to learn about firewalls and SPI.
* If you wish not to disable your firewall, then you can port forward the Vonage traffic to the adapter. Click here to learn about port forwarding.

Wireless Routers and Cordless phones – If you have a wireless router and a cordless phone:

* Ensure all wireless devices and cordless phone bases are at least four feet away from each other.

Home wiring – If you are using home wiring:

* Ensure the land line has been disconnected in the Demarc box.
* Ensure there are no more than five phones connected through the house wiring. The signal fades as more phones are connected to house wiring.
* Test with one phone directly connected to your Vonage device. If this fixes the issue, there may be a problem with your house wiring.

Okay you say to Click here to learn about the Port forwarding but there is no hidden link...

Also, I appreciate your efforts but how in the world am I to Ensure all of these Devices..lol are 4 ft away from one another if they are running on the Router..???

That's a lot of separation (Think about it) You have the phone line...Pull that 4 ft away...You have the cable modem...pull that 4 ft away...You ahve the Router...4 ft away ....uhhhhh

Not possible in my case...

So I guess the questions I asked in the opening of the thread can't be answered?

I was hoping you guys knew this filter that can be placed on the router (rather attached or whatever) that will ensure no data blocking from either source...I ran across it a couple of months ago and said....I'll get that but didn't write the name of the hardware down...

Can you guys give me the filter name? OR what methods would I take in attaching a Gigabit Switch to the Router to get what I'm looking for?

Law I appreciate your help but you listed a number of things that just aren't possible...and really the only answer to the Vonage line but not the REAL reason is to get uninterupted data transfer so I can download (file share) talk on the phone...and surf the net....

C'mon scratch that head a little bit more...Pretty please..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom