D-Link vs. LinkSys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Masters

In Runtime
My mom just came home with a D-Link router. I'm not too familiar with routers but I always thought LinkSys was better. I just want to know which is better? She only paid $50 CDN.

i would say that it depends on the functionality of the model instead of the brand name. Ease of use/UI should be a factor too.

however i did have a d-link gateway that crapped out on me after about one year.

omgz...i would choose d-link over linksys any day...I used to have a linksys and after 3 months it got fried...like basically it was really slow and I couldnt load some stuff...eventually it just stopeed working...Now ive been using my d-link for 13 months traight :) no problems.

p.s.- they are more cost effective too.

You are going to find many different stories indicating that a brand/model is better than the other. I've read 100s of reviews (part of my job) on these base gateway/router models and find that the D-Links do get better reviews on the net. However, I know that I've read a bunch of stories on this, and other sites, that the D-Link604 model as well as the equivilant wireless model, fry very easily. I've read very few similar stories about Linksys.
Support is also a concern. I read this story on PCWorld.com about a guy calling D-Link support and the tech ended walking him through utter descruction of his PC's settings just to get the product to work correctly. Haven't read too many similar stories about Linksys support.
Linksys products are now manuf. by Cisco. Linksys still has their own support team, but the product itself is trusted with a Cisco brand name (not too shabby!).
I've read more stories about users liking the user interface from the D-Link better than the Linksys products. And, I know for a fact that D-Link really strives to get the product working in as least time as possible right out of the box. Linksys does a pretty good job at this too....but not to match with D-Link.
All, in all I feel that I've had better luck with Linksys and I'll always begin to trust their name over any other home gateway/router product on the market.
SMC makes an excellent line of products as well. But, out of the box, they are NOT user friendly.

-Mike

either one will really do you fine. I have a netgear firewall router and a linksys wireless router, and have used the d-links before. I like the netgear interface better than any of the others (it seems much more intuitive and refined) and has great usability. It's close on product comparisons between the other two, but I think I would have to put the Linksys just ahead of the D-Link. From most of the reports I've read the D-Links tend to be more shaky hardware wise. I don't think they put quite the quality of parts in them. And with Linksys having Cisco's backing now, I have seen great improvements in their usability and web interfaces. Not the prettiest, but very functional (in typical cisco fashion). I think Linksys is just picking up speed and would pick up their product over the D-link Even if I had to pay a bit more (in the computer field, quality always costs).

I have used D-Link, Linksys and netgear for routers and the only router that hasnt died is the netgear, the Linksys needed to be restarted every 3 hours, this started 2 month after I bought it. The d-link died during a firmware upgrade (so much for quality). The netgear is great fast, and it has yet to die. Stick with the d-link just dont upgrade the firmware, it kills.

Help! After a year or so of use my Linksys BESR41,version 3 up and quit letting either of our computers access the internet. Nothing has helped the problem,settings,reboot everything,etc. So thinking the router may be fried,I bought a new one. upon putting the set-up wizard CD in and trying to run it,it tells me I have NO connection at all. The fact that I'm posting this contradicts it's findings. Putting the settings in manually results in the familar "Page cannot be displayed/no connection" message.
What would cause this? I have tried both CD's,the one from the first router also. (same version) same results-"no connection found".
Any ideas? TIA
Tom

i had some problems with d-link...d-link does not like wireless cards of other brands...even if the d-link wireless card's model number differs from the router's model number, problems still arise. i would recomment=d you purchase a Microsoft Wireless Network Kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom