D-Link/Mac Address Issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solearius

Solid State Member
Hey!

So after going into D-Link's web-based configuration I accidently messed with the MAC ADDRESS and had it changed. :(

So now when I can know longer connect to the web with my D-Link router connected to my CABLE MODEM. I cannot even go back into the DLink's web configuartion. I had contacted D-Link we had done the basic troubleshooting (unplugging the modem, the router, etc.) that stuff never seems to work.

So is there anything else I can do? :( There's absolutely nothing wrong with my connection, it's just that I cannot connect to the web through the router because of an "Invalid IP Address" error in the Connection Status.

Solearius

Yes, changing the MAC address will mess up your computer arp table, it will see that the default gateway IP is still associated with the old MAC address. You will have to clear the old entry. Go to command prompt and type netsh interface ip delete arpcache and try to log back into the router and change it back. Type arp -a to see the new entry.

Or you can try and reset the router back to factory default setting if you haven't done so.

Well this is what I get..

245ii5t.jpg

245iijp.jpg

Error when trying to release/renew connection:

245iirb.jpg

Solearius

I would definitely reset that router, you should be able to bring it back to default settings.

No entry in arp cache and no IP address probably mean the computer doesn't know the default gateway IP therefore it won't try and find out the MAC address of the router so you'll need to reset that router.

You need an IP for arp to work because it resolve IP address to MAC address. Essentially it will broadcast a message request saying “who has 192.168.1.1(default gateway), tell 192.168.1.100(computer ip) and it should receive a unicast reply message from the default gateway saying “192.168.1.1 is at 00:00:aa:bb:cc:dd(MAC address)”

Oh! how about giving the computer a static IP. You should try and manually assign the computer the IP and default gateway if you remember what it was. Try that and maybe arp will pick up the new MAC address of the default gateway interface and you could probably get connected. You need to restart the computer or give it some time to broadcast.

Law said:
Oh! how about giving the computer a static IP. You should try and manually assign the computer the IP and default gateway if you remember what it was. Try that and maybe arp will pick up the new MAC address of the default gateway interface and you could probably get connected. You need to restart the computer or give it some time to broadcast.

Steps?

What do I do? Step by step please. :(

Solearius

What is the model of your D-link router? Is there a way for you to reset the router from a button on it maybe just incase this doesn't work out?

D-Link DI-524.

Yes there's a small reset button on the back. I pressed that button many times but never seemed to get it to work after resetting.

Solearius

ok I'll see what I can find out about this model. On another note, have you tried another computer just to see if you can get an IP address from the router just incase the problem might be with your computer? You did reset it properly right, then it should of return to factory default.

Alright try this, go to Control Panel/Network Connection, right click on your wired ethernet adapter and select Properties. Double click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and select "Use the following IP" and enter in the below:

IP=192.168.0.254
subnet mask=255.255.255.0
default gateway=192.168.0.1
dns=blank

Click Ok to save and wait until it's done configuring and try entering the web configuration now. You want to use IE for this. Make sure you are connected with a wire to the router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom