Crossover Networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucky34

Solid State Member
I recently bought a desktop, assembled myself, blah blah. Anyway I am trying to use a crossover cable to network my old laptop and the desktop together so i can transfer files. Only I have one problem: I don't know where to start. Any help is appreciated.

First of all the PC and the laptop have to use the same network address. Then,

Create a shared folder on one:
Right-click folder>Sharing and Security>Click the checkbox that says 'SHare the folder on the network'

Then access the folder from the other computer by clicking Start>Run>\\(IP address of computer with shared folder)

It should then ask you for your credentials, just enter the same username and password as you would on the computer you are trying to access.

Im still a bit hazy. My desktop Ip is set at 100.100.100.10 and the laptop is 100.100.100.20. I have the hard drive on the laptop as a shared drive so i can transfer the info. But it does not show up under my network places on my desktop.

In your network places, there should be a name of a workgroup, and within that workgroup, you should be able to see the folder.

To make sure you are in the same workgroup:
right-click my computer>click properties>click the computer name tab>click the change button, and make sure that the workgroup name for both is the same.

If that doesnt work, post back, and we'll start troubleshooting the network itself.

Networking a XP Home laptop with an XP Pro desktop is becoming a hassle. I changed both IPs, i have the crossover cable hooked up, I have the laptops main drive sharable. I just need to be spoonfed from Step 1. Sorry if i am being a thorn in your rear but i have been at this for days.

Did you use windwos networking? If you did, just make sure you have the same workgroup, and the same settings (internet sharing, all the options when you go through the wiz)

Well, what exactly are you doing, then?
If you're not using the wiz, make sure you're naming the network correctly, and make sure everything is enabled. (network devices)

ugh i found the problem and she runs fine now. under ipconfig it still had my internet IP and not the one that was assigned to it. so i /release /renew it and it works fine after a quick restart. Thanks everyone for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom