Crossover cable networking with more than 2 pc's

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustonj

Beta member
I have a home network with 2 computers connected with a crossover cable and one also has a wireless card that connects with a dsl wireless gateway, I dont know if its possible but i want to connect a third computer the same way by adding another ethernet card that i have lying around without having to buy a router. Would someone please tell me if this is possible on windows xp.

Thanks.

It is possible, but if you do not want to buy a router you will have to buy a switch at a minimum. They are fairly cheap, under $40.00. The computer that is wireless that connects to the internet will host the other 2 connections. It's called ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) and is built right in to XP. Each computer (all three) will connect to the switch. All you have to do is run the network wizard and it will take you step by step in sharing out the internet. The Windows help file will provide lots of info on it or just google ICS and you will have more resources to read than you care to.

good luck

BTW, you could do that now with the one other computer and that cross over cable without the switch.

Thank you for answering my question i guess thats what i will do is get a switch and i do have the two pc's already connected to the internet with ics and a crossover cable i just was wondering if i could install another ethernet card and then run another crossover cable but i dont think it will work.

Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom