Creating a WAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrowinski

Baseband Member
Does anyone know of any good 'how to' websites?
I have a business LAN and need to create another LAN about 300miles from here and connect the two LANs

Thanks
H

How big is each LAN, and what kind of hardware are you using?? Do you use Cisco hardware, or just SOHO type hardware, like Linksys to create each LAN?

You COULD connect them through VPN over the internet, or you could get a Frame Relay / ATM Circuit to connect the two...

Over the internet would be cheaper, however, response time on an internet connection will be higher than that of a dedicated circuit.

Then you have to deciede with each method, there is a possibility that you may have downtime.... if the internet goes down, or if the dedicated circuit has troubles, both offices will be completly cut off from one another... perhaps an ISDN line configured to be dialed when the main link drops would be a good idea.

What kind of traffic will there be going between the LAN's? Just data files, VOIP calls between the offices?

I think that I would use a vpn over the internet
I use all cisco switches with dell servers

the second site will have about 12 workstations connecting to a single server. I was planning on running that server as a secondary DC & file server.

if you can point me in the right direction with information and how to set this all up that would be great

ps are you an eagle scout?

Thanks
H

if you are going vpn then a T1 connection is very reliable. although check this website for private wan services. thats always more reliable . http://www.speakeasy.net/business/wan/

Speakeasy Private WAN offers a better way to stay connected:

Highly cost-effective second layer security solution—Flat monthly fee with no bursting costs and no additional hardware to purchase
Simplified security management—No ongoing management and adding additional sites is a simple phone call to Speakeasy
Private, reliable connections—Data travels over Speakeasy's private, multi-redundant nationwide network

hrowinski said:

ps are you an eagle scout?

Yes H, I am... you are the first to notice.. :cool:

As far as VPN goes, HERE is the VPN Wiki. My VPN experience was limited to training only on non-cisco equipment over a year ago, and I haven't ever had 'real-world' experience... Not sure what kind of contact you have with Cisco for the equipment you have, but a search of their website on your router models may give some good results. You might be able to call them too and have them assist with the config.

LAW might be able to better assist with more info on this, thats about all I have on VPN.:(

Yea, if you want to create a VPN between 2 site, a dictated leased line is a more secure method than using the public Internet.

I would not recommend the Internet, because you don't have control over which route or routers your packet travels through, at least with a dictated leased line you have that 1 site going to the middle man (ISP) then to the second site which is better than going through hundreds of routers just to reach the second site when using the Internet.

But the Internet is a cheap solution, if your going with the Internet solution you'll have to buy 2 routers (1 on each site) with IPSec (recommended) so you can tunnel through with privacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom