Creating a Hotspot - probs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PC Illiterate

Solid State Member
Hi,

I recently viewed this CNET video demonstrating how to turn your computer into a wireless internet hotspot:

Video: Make your laptop a hot spot - CNET Reviews

Yet, I'm stumbling on the Network Key bit in the 'Wireless Hub Properties' of XP. On the video the guy types in his password and moves onto the next bit. However, my PC throws up this message:

'The network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 to 26 hexadecimal characters.'

Now, I've tried all manner of combinations to get XP to accept a Network Key, but it continuously throws up this same message.

Please, am I missing something?

what kind of key are you entering?? It says either 5 or 13 ASCII characters, (NOTE, not BETWEEEN the numbers.... ONE or the OTHER...), or are you using Hex characters? 0-9 A-F

Oh jeez, like I wish I could be one of these guys who can say "hey English isn't my first language, alright!". But no, I've missed a simple instruction.

Problem solved, so PLEASE no one reply to this thread. Ditch that, don't even read it!!

The dog's been digging a whole in the back garden all day, think I'm gonna unplug my computer and go stick my head in it...

Lol, no problem. I was having the same issues when I set up my WPA2 key... It was supposed to be 63 or less, and I kept trying to put in 64. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom