Creating Ftp Behing Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkendVoid

Solid State Member
hello, me and a friend are desing a web page for his moms bissunes and i was willing to host a small ftp server on my extra box for us to use well....... i have a cable internet so there i have a continus connection, but the problem is im behind a Netgear FR314 firewall router, is there any way i can assign that computer a static ip with this router so that my friend can directly connect?

with dynamic IP's you would use a service to map your IP to a static address. don't forget you need to open FTP ports 21 and 20:

dynamic/ static IP's
WAN IP address with DSL/ cable internet are usually dynamic not static and will not remain the same all the time which means you must use a DNS updater. that is a program that you install on the client machines that monitors and sends the client's current IP address whenever it changes.

the updater program checks its IP address constantly from a certain place and if a change is detected it reports that change to the DNS service. the DNS service and the updater program is Free unless you want to use a paid service.

dyndns.org is a free DNS service. at the website go to the help section and it has a link page to free and non-free DNS updater programs. the best free updater is called Dynamic_DNS_5.

if you have static IP's a the client machine than all you need to do is specify the static IP address.

example if you have static ip you specify in : 8.2.51.38

if dynamic and using a DNS service you enter: selene.dyndns.org

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom