Create a RIS server from a PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

joboo8781

Beta member
Is there any way to convert my old laptop into a RIS server? I am working on a project and am researching different ways of imaging multiple machines w/out manual intervention. Also, other suggestions are appreciated, but I would like to know if turning my PC into a RIS server is possible.

Thanks in advance.
Josh

2000? 2003? How many clients? Hardware specs of the laptop?

Personally, I'm smirking... a little ;) First of all, you'll need the server OS installed. RIS has to be installed on a different partition and it needs quite a lot of space... I suppose 5-10 gigs or so should be fine (It's not just the OS...lot of components) Laptop drives, in my opinion, don't have the "juice" for RIS.... but you can try it. You also need to be setup in a domain environment. The PDC needs to be running AD, DHCP and DNS. The laptop doesn't have to be the PDC (and shouldn't be in this case, laugh out loud)

Are the machines the same build, model, etc with all the same components? If so, have you thought about ghost imaging? If not, RIS would be the way to go but ... judging by your post, it doesn't sound like you've thought about this for very long :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom