A couple of wifi problems..

Status
Not open for further replies.

clever_j

In Runtime
Hi

I just setup a wireless network for a client... the area is a small 2 storey building that is about 40 meters by 10 meters.. heavy walling.. it's like a motel..

i have a wireless router (Dlink 624) using an outdoor antennae (DLink 0800) mounted inside, in the middle of the first floor.

I wasnt getting any signal at the far ends of the 2nd floor (rooms 201,202, 214 and 215) so i installed a repeater (Dlink 2000ap+)...

I've configured everything properly.. didnt use any security measures as i need to get it running as best it can first before adding any complexities to it.. meaning, i've left the SSID broadcasting on, no encryptions, DHCP activated, etc etc..

Here are my problems:

1) Moving between router and repeater ranges
When i move out of the range of one device (router) and move into the range of the other (repeater), or vice versa, i keep loosing my internet connection..

For example, when i move away from the repeater (2nd floor), and move into the router's stronger range (1st floor), into the the wireless status panel says im connected to the network with full signal.. but pinging the any device (router or repeater) gives time outs.. and so is pinging an internet source..

I have to disconnect and reconnect the wireless connection manually.

2) Some laptops at the far end can connect and some can't.
In one room (214) at the far end, the fujitsu laptop im using with built in wifi adapter has a decent signal and no ping time outs.. but the customer with a PCI wireless adapter for his laptop can't get a stable connection.. and usually times out.. how come?

any ideas?

Thanks in advance

How old is this building ?

Where are the power closets ?

How many repeaters are you using ?

Unfortunely with wifi, a cell phone used on the bottom floor can interrupt your connection. It depends on the cards that your laptops carry. Can you tweak signal in the router/repeaters ? Any kind of power supply such as "refrigerators, old ceiling lights, cellphones... you catch my drift.

as for the number 2 question, i pretty much figured same as you.. many factors.. but what do you think about question number ONE?

1) Moving between router and repeater ranges
(see above)

or was your post meant to be for both?

Just sounds like the elements involved with this place, require a few more repeaters. you might end up putting them in the ceiling of the hallways.

I might be wrong about this but:-

I think there is a limited number of repeaters you can add for a wireless network.

I know for a fact that my router @ home only supports one repeater (this might be the same for other routers)

One possible way aroud this (if true), wire in some wireless access points, distributed around the building. Though this requires cabling, but is a solution :p
Might be others though [and I might be stupid!!!]

I have analyzed old buildings, where the company wanted all wifi, and I had to draw up the plans for there to be a access points in doorways. there are a TON of wifi problems when it comes to old buildings... you really need to plan the layout around the power point of the building.

I might be wrong about this but:-

I think there is a limited number of repeaters you can add for a wireless network.

I know for a fact that my router @ home only supports one repeater (this might be the same for other routers)

One possible way aroud this (if true), wire in some wireless access points, distributed around the building. Though this requires cabling, but is a solution :p
Might be others though [and I might be stupid!!!]

yes..and no.. you can usually add as much repeaters as possible, as repeaters are stand alone frame relayers and the router has nothing to do with the repeater.. the repeater acts like a client receiving signal and forwards the frames to extend the range..

But it's not very good to add too many repeaters. each repeater you add halves your throughput. so the most efficient way to use repeater is 1st degree relay only.. where signal is relayed once..

or 2nd degree max if you absolutely have to extend it a bit further...

I have analyzed old buildings, where the company wanted all wifi, and I had to draw up the plans for there to be a access points in doorways. there are a TON of wifi problems when it comes to old buildings... you really need to plan the layout around the power point of the building.

i did my analysis before deploying.. I know there are better equipment to use for the situation, but im very limitted here in the philippines..

anyway, it's ok.. i've successfully cover the needed area with an antenna and a repeater.. my problem is not as you put your answer, but rather the SIGNAL SWITCH from repeater to antenna..

you see, it should all be seemless... when you step into the repeater's stronger coverage, coming from the antenna, the laptops should not have to reconnect as i do not.. it should switch automatically.. what i have to do is disconnect and reconnect on same SSID (ofcourse).

I don't have a whole lot to offer here but perhaps there's a dead spot between the router and repeater. Maybe as an experiment you could move the repeater closer to the router and see if the problem persists.

My other thought is, does it matter? I mean is anyone going to be walking from one part of the building to another while expecting to maintain a connection? I'm guessing not.

As for problem #2 sounds like a difference in antenna sensitivity. How does the machine that's having trouble respond when moved closer to the repeater?

Also are the 2 comps in the exact same place? RF propagation can be quite mysterious and in some cases just a few feet can make a difference.

Sorry if I'm just stating the obvious to you, but there's some things to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom