could u guys recommend me a good cheap affordable router for my dsl

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddanth3

In Runtime
as the titile say, i would appreciate ur help on choosing a router for my verizion dryloop dsl. i will be putting the router in my basement, and will be using a laptop in the first floor and another laptop in the second floor. my main desktop is gonna be in the basement. my house is pretty huge. i looked at alot of them online but didnt know what i really have to look in a router to be a good one. any help will be highly appreciated.

thanks for the help

Wired or Wireless?

We realy need more info before we could advise you, Belkin are great and affordable look at them.

Wired or Wireless?

We realy need more info before we could advise you, Belkin are great and affordable look at them.

well, is there a difference?? idk, i want something that can connect to my desktop, and send wireless internet signals to my 2 laptops so i can use internet on them.

what kind of wireless cards do your laptops have. ie. 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g or 80211n? You will want to get a wireless router that meets or exceeds the standard you have.

what kind of wireless cards do your laptops have. ie. 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g or 80211n? You will want to get a wireless router that meets or exceeds the standard you have.

how would i know what kind do they have?? one has a built in one, and one is an external d-link one,

Right click "My Computer" Navigate to the "Device Manager Tab" and then expand the Network Adapter box and there should be something that alludes to the type of nic you got.

well, i am leaning towards this one because of its great reviews.
Customer Reviews Of BUFFALO WHR-G54S Wireless-G 125 High Speed Broadband Router & Access Point - Retail

or may be this one coz i can find this at my local walmart. Newegg.com - BELKIN F5D7132 Wireless G Universal Range Extender - Retail

how would u guys rate this belkin, coz i dont know if i wanna wait 3-4 business days to get my router from newegg, the belkin i can get it at walmart for 4 dollars more. but my question is, will it be sufficient for my humangous house, setting the router up in the basement, and using wireless internet at first and second floors??

You would probably regret getting a Belkin router, they're not really good IMO. You should stick with that Buffalo and flash it to the DD-WRT firmware and it will give you enterprise features for $35 and much better performance.

Shouldn't have a problem upstairs but if you strategically place the router you should get a good signal from the second floor. But if the signal isn't good enough you can buy another of that Buffalo using the DD-WRT firmware and use the second Buffalo as a Wireless LAN repeater.

Two of those Buffalo should be enough to cover a large house. Just try with one first and see how it goes. I can't really say for sure because everyone's house is different and react differently to the wireless signal.

But first before you purchase anything, check the laptop and see what wireless adapters specification are on them. You want it to be 802.11 b or g. If it's both that's fine too, that just mean it's a 802.11g since these two standard are practically compatible. But if it's just 802.11b it will still work but only at 11Mbps or lower speed. The actual speed is less than that, probably 2.2 or 5Mbps. It's best to have 802.11g since you have a max speed of 54Mbps.

well i went and bought this one from my local sams club.
Newegg.com - LINKSYS WRT54GS IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless-G Broadband Router with SpeedBooster - Retail
i liked this one better but they didnt have this
Newegg.com - LINKSYS WRT54GL IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless-G Broadband Router - Retail
could u tell me the difference between these two?
i can return the router to sams club no question asked, thats why i went for it, if it doesnt work that well, i 'll return for a refund and go with the buffallo or the linksys one.
thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom