Could not detect other computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

regiemon

In Runtime
We have 5 computers in our office and those 5 pc's are networked together and we are using a hub.

But my problem is I could not use obtain ip address in the configuration. I need to set an ip address with all the computers. If i choose obtain ip address it could not detect the other computers. But if i set an ip address it can detect the other computers.

My operating systems are 1 windows xp and 4 windows 98se.

I need to set my ip address to obtain. Because we upgraded our internet connection to dsl and I want to share the internet connection.

Can anyone advice me on how to resolve my problem.

Thank you very much to your response.

You need a DHCP server to issue IP's. So you either need one computer with two NICs in it to serve as a gateway, or get an inexpensive router that will issue IPs to the computers.

Best bet would probly be teh latter, though if you have an older machine languishing around (Pentium or PII-class) and a pair of PCI NIC cards, you could install Smoothwall and have yourself a pretty darn good firewall appliance which will give you those dynamic IP addresses.

Yep you would need an actual router which comes with DHCP capability to be able to obtain IP address's automatically. A hub is like a switch kinda..that in it does not do much but provide additional network ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom