Copmuter not showing up on network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mewgen1

Baseband Member
Computer not showing up on network

I know things like this have been discussed before here, actually I was referencing this this post about a very similar issue. After doing everything in the post I still haven't been able to figure out whats up.

I have two computers, both running WinXP (ones Professional and ones Media Center) connected to my apartment's cable connection. One of them, the one running professional, is connected to my NetGEAR WGT624 v3 router with an Ethernet cable. The other is connected with a netgear wireless usb adapter. Both computers connect to the internet just fine, but when I tried to set up file sharing so my roommate and I could access stuff on each others computers I ran into a snag.

His computer shows up in both of our computers My Network Places, but mine doest show up in either. I tried setting up mine to have a static IP Address thinking this may be part of the problem since I always had a static address where I lived before. No dice.

I tried having his computer ping my IP address, it worked just fine with an average time of 4ms. But when I tried to go into run on his computer and enter my IP address it hangs for about 2 minutes then gives me an error saying that the destination is invalid.

I tried running the network setup wizard again on my comp just to be sure everything is setup right and it finished just fine. Twice

In the aforementioned post about a similar issue it was suggested that there may be a problem with the computer transmitting NetBIOS information so i went into the advanced TCP/IP settings and changed the NetBIOS option from "default" to "enabled."

So rather than resurrecting a long dead post I decided to start one of my own. Anyone have any ideas about what might be going on?

try disabling xp's firewall. if you can ping from his pc to your pc, add file and print sharing as an exception in xp firewall advanced settings.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried adding it but it was already there. Are there any other ports that may need to be added? Currently there are only 4: TCP 139, TCP 445 , UDP 137 and UDP 138.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom