Converting signal from 3g modem to router

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a very nice program; used it in my college dorm my freshman year on my desktop cuz our rooms only had 1 port, and I couldn't run both my laptop/desktop at the same time.

Correct me if I am wrong but couldn't you just bridge two connections such as a wired one of a the computer and the 3G modem? Then if you plugged your computer with the 3G modem into a router the computer would pass the Internet connection over into the wired network and from there you could use it normally.

First open up your network connections and hopefully your 3G modem will show up. Right click on it and select properties. There should be something about sharing. Share the Internet connection of the adapter.
View attachment 4829

Then you can bridge the connections. Lets say that Network 4 is your wired network and Wireless Network Connection 2 is your 3G modem. Right click > Bridge.
View attachment 4830

I don't have a 3G modem to test this with but it should work.

Attachments

• share-internet.jpg
    share-internet.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 54
  • bridge-network.jpg
    bridge-network.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 53
Correct me if I am wrong but couldn't you just bridge two connections such as a wired one of a the computer and the 3G modem? Then if you plugged your computer with the 3G modem into a router the computer would pass the Internet connection over into the wired network and from there you could use it normally.

First open up your network connections and hopefully your 3G modem will show up. Right click on it and select properties. There should be something about sharing. Share the Internet connection of the adapter.
View attachment 4829

Then you can bridge the connections. Lets say that Network 4 is your wired network and Wireless Network Connection 2 is your 3G modem. Right click > Bridge.
View attachment 4830

I don't have a 3G modem to test this with but it should work.

I am back in the states and can not experiment all these good suggestions but yours is what I had in mind that could be done somehow. Thank you very much. Anymore suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Yes, you could use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). The drawback to ICS (and Connectify too) is that in order for the machines sharing the connection to have access, the main machine must be powered on and be connected. With the broadband router option, any machine can use the connection without depending in any other machine. Of course then the router needs to be powered and connected via the USB 3g device.

Thanks Strollin, that would be no problem with me. My comp only goes off when I travel or when the power goes off. But yes, good input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom